skhoshroo

Victorian Wood Flooring -- Keep or ditch?

Saj K
6 August, 2019

We are planning to dig a basement under our Victorian property in Clapham. We have what I understand to be original wood flooring (depicted below) in our front room and reception.

Should we try to keep these during the renovation? One of the planks is broken and there are sock-killing nails protruding in several places. The planks have gaps wide enough for my wedding ring to fall through in places and squeak and groan under the weight of my supple form in others. There seems to be a gap underneath, which can't be energy efficient.

Having lived in flats all my life, my question to expert Houzzers is can this be fixed and is it worth the hassle? If it can be fixed, what does that process entail, especially given there will be a basement dug underneath.

Much appreciated!