FIND PROFESSIONALS
buzzmummy

Do I add a peninsula to this kitchen?

buzzmummy

Hello all, I need some help knowing whether this is a crazy idea or not!

See below pics of my kitchen as is... measures approx 6.5m by 4m and it is open plan into a dining area.

Basically I have 4 issues with the kitchen:

1 There is nowhere to perch while drinking coffee or for my two boys to have breakfast, or visitors to sit and chat

2 I have not any storage for cookery books which I have heaps of and love (see windowsill!)

3 I would like somewhere closer to the oven to put hot pans on when I take them out

4 The hole where the bin currently is annoys me as its where we removed a broken wine fridge.

Kitchen Ideas · More Info

Kitchen Ideas · More Info

Kitchen Ideas · More Info

Thinking things over I am wondering about adding a peninsula breakfast bar to the side opposite the fridge. My inspiration is these pics:

House on Connor · More Info

Ashland Residence · More Info

So basically I would have a g-shaped run of units and then the tall units behind the peninsula part.

If I were to take out the existing end panel and the next 300mm cupboard along, and add a 600mm pull out recycling bin unit and an 800mm wide slimline open shelf unit facing towards the ovens, with an overhang of worktop above the bookshelf unit.....would this work??

I have no idea what to do about the worktop though, ideas needed on that one. Possibly simplest to just have a new bit of worktop for the breakfast bar bit? Would it look strange if this was a different worktop to the solid wood we already have? Like a white silestone or similar?

I should also say that as part of large house renovation the budget is small, so I can't change too many units round or buy very many. All walls will be painted white, I am toying with the idea of painting the cabinets F&B Pavilion grey or similar to modernize a bit. (Current cabinets are fundamentally sound just a bit tired and have a few chips / scratches from the last people's dog etc). Changing the floor too, probably to light coloured stone effect Karndean but haven't quite decided on that. Worktops will stay, but am going to strip current varnish and get back to bare oiled wood.

What do you all think? Am I mad or will this look good?!! Is there anything better I could do? Help and ideas greatly appreciated...!

• buzzmummy
    last modified: 4 years ago

Sorry I should also say I am also considering getting a bridging unit and side panels for the fridge freezer and making that look a bit less messy!

Kitchen peninsula

Hello, I think a T shape Kitchen can be amazing as it is something different and a bit unusual. With a great design everything it can be achieved and you can make your space enjoyable to your standards. An Island would give dimension to your Kitchen and remember that there are multiple styles you can pick and combine. If you wouldn't like that cause you believe it will take your space, than why not have a 'living' area or a Bar with some chairs? On our website you could check our Inspirational images to help you get more ideas! Good luck! StJamesDesignInteriorsltd Our Company Video This video explains our new fresh way of working in the renovation industry. Please visit our website StJamesDesign.com or email us info@stjamesdesign.com if you have any queries. We Hope you enjoy the video! https://vimeo.com/120340222

Side return kitchen - island or peninsula layout!?

Loving the island thanks. Feels really open. We dropped the ceiling height when it's non kitchen to differentiate spaces/zones for dining v's kitchen. We haven't got round to buying stools for island yet and not sure we will, with the dining table being so near and a toddler who likes to run around it!

How to add colours to open plan kitchen/living/dining

Just to confirm..... on your sketch above.... the too. on the left will be the new space measuring approx 4m X 4m including the green area? If so, that will be tight for everything! And your furniture us all off scale. Your 2 seater sofa has been drawn as 1m long which isn't right. Your kitchen is all out. I assume I've picked you up incorrectly and your room is actually bigger!

Do you think I can add a lean to conservatory?

Thank you so much for the reply. If only money were no object...leaving the kitchen exactly where it is will save lots and I can update the units and keep the services where they are. Yes you're right I need symmetry back, I liked the idea of a simple glass room at the back, but couldn't see how it would work, think one with eaves may be too expensive...what else would you do? It's top heavy. Great bedrooms but doesn't have a decent downstairs family room.
  • buzzmummy

Thanks Daisy, yes the kitchen planning placement of the ovens is not great I admit, but it was what we inherited with the house and sadly the fridge has to be where it is in relation to water plumbing from the sink, also the bottom door of the oven housing hides the boiler, so I'm a bit stuck with what else to do there too. I haven't really got the budget to start changing it all round! ;) ...the doorway does only go to small courtyard area not much used.

• buzzmummy

Any other ideas anyone? I am trying to decide asap as work will need to be done within the next month! :)

Galerie Design

Hi,

An Island will fit easier, however instead of an American Fridge I would have incorporated a fridge like this first..

Do you have a floor plan by any chance that we can see the space, we usually design two different concept one is how we see it the other is your vision of your project therefore we won't be able to help you at this stage however, check out our portfolio section on our profile, and if you feel connected to our style or creativity get in contact we will help with pleasure...

Anais & Mohamed B

• minnie101

Hi. Plans will be good and perhaps pics of the top corner to the left of the window and the whole of the fridge wall. Is the sink run 4m as it doesn't look that wide but I may be mistaken? Could you not forego the water dispenser and get a cheap integrated FF if you're buying units anyway? Does the floor continue under the ovens do you know? Can the floor be sanded and lightened if you're not keen on it? I think a different worktop can work for a peninsula, just trying to reconcile the ovens being behind it both visually and for practical purposes. Are you doing any work yourself as just thinking costs may add up particularly with silestone etc

buzzmummy thanked minnie101
  • buzzmummy

Hello La Galerie, thanks for your comments. Yes I agree tall integrated fridge freezers are more streamlined and look better with all built-in appliances. However...u guessed it..the budget won't run to that just yet I'm afraid! Where is the one from in your picture? It looks very cool. I'm not really looking at a complete re-design at the minute nice though it would be....thanks for your offer, I will have the comment saved on here for future reference. :)

• minnie101

I missed your comment re the boiler. Is there room to stack the ovens next to the fridge? Then just add some shelves to the old oven housing for the books

buzzmummy thanked minnie101
  • buzzmummy

Hello Minnie, thanks for replying, yes the width should be 3m not 4, sorry, my mistake! A few more pics attached sorry they're a bit dark.

Kitchen Ideas · More Info

Kitchen Ideas · More Info

Kitchen Ideas · More Info

As to flooring yes we had considered sanding and the flooring does go to the back of the units, however we really don't like the 3 strip effect and also part of this floor has some deep gouges in that may not sand out very well, so we have decided to replace it with something lighter.

I agree about the fridge freezer issue, it would look more streamlined and also take up slightly less depth. I haven't written the idea off, but will have to see if we can stretch the budget thus far!

Sorry I haven't really got a kitchen plan as it is just what was here when we moved in, should be easy to work out with all the pics. Dishwasher is to the left of the sink as you look at it.

Does it work to have a unit with its back to existing units as I am thinking about for the pull out bin unit? I mean practical considerations. I'm full of good ideas but not very practical which is why my dh groans!! I have food bin and general waste under the sink so this pullout would be purely recycling which we seem to get heaps of!

Another pic I had saved for peninsula idea, mine would have the pull out where drawers are here, with bookshelf behind the knee area of bar.

Kitchen · More Info

And this is an idea I like for colour scheme ...

Shenley Brook End · More Info

What do u think? I should say my dh is v practical and will probably be doing the fitting new units, worktops and floor parts of this reno...I will be doing the painting unless I can get a decorator!!

• buzzmummy

Re the ovens its an idea I hadn't considered moving them. I will have a think. That small bit of wall next to the fridge is 570mm wide but possibly if we did change the fridge there would be room. What's the thoughts on oven housing right next to fridge though? Does that work or not?

• buzzmummy

La Galerie, sorry how would you put an island in here? I can't see there's enough width?!

• minnie101

I did wonder, 3m might be a bit tight. In an ideal world I wouldn't have an oven next to a FF as it needs to work extra hard and therefore may not last as long however so many kitchens have them and they seem to last a while. I think I'd personally go for that as I think the ovens behind the bar may still prove to be impractical? The bin drawer can front open however I would want a 120 gap between the new oven and bar which doesn't give a huge peninsula, you'll need 30cm for the stool (unless you put the books in the old oven housing). How much space is there between the back door and worktop as I'd want a little space between the hob and the bar with the bar being 2ft deep. I think TBH I would contact OnePlan on here, Karen has an hourly etc rate so she could do a plan for you to see what could practically work and how it looks. Or Gina at CreatePerfect offers a similar service. The grey looks good. Which way does the room face as PG has a blue undertone so you may need a warmer one? A couple of shelves may also look nice next to the window?

Galerie Design
    buzzmummy...there is enough room it's all about the shape and depth of the island however not with a U shape layout ...
  • buzzmummy

O I see LG it would be nice but unfortunately I'm tied to the basic layout I have at the moment.

• buzzmummy

Minnie there is not much room between the end of the existing worktop and the door frame...probably about 60mm? I had considered just removing the end panel and having a stool tucked under that part. The other thing I could possibly do would be to get an open larder style cabinet next to the fridge for book storage and displaying pretty things, tie this in with a bridging unit to keep the ff a bit less in your face.

Pavilion grey seems good from the samples, my dh does NOT like warm beigey greys so this seems to be cool enough. Thankfully the main light from lh window and door is southern, the sink window is west and the other one is east.

• minnie101

Ah ok, you need space for pan handles at the side of the hob, probably 15cm. You could maybe go for a slimmer depth bar say 45cm in the style I posted but I'm not sure that's what you want! How high is the boiler? I personally would integrate the FF and move the ovens. If the boiler is low enough, I'd incorporate it within a long banquette seat built along that wall. I think you have room for a (shorter) table in front by eye. I really would suggest contacting a pro though although hopefully others will have ideas of what will work! It sounds like the grey will work well then :) . It's such a shame the ovens are there as it's a nice kitchen!

buzzmummy thanked minnie101
    OnePlan

Hi guys thanks for the mention Minnie and the message Buzzmummy .... I think this would work better if you did have a perch somewhere I wonder if an ikea movable island might work ? it would be a good idea to see it in 3d on software so we can check the walkway space etc.

We have helped people rip out and re site kitchens before ... https://www.houzz.com/discussions/kitchen-makeover-dsvw-vd~3923064

this one for example !

• buzzmummy

Hi One Plan, I had read that makeover story already and marvelled at it. I don't know how far to go now. I don't honestly think hubby would be too pleased if I tell him I have decided to rip the whole lot out and change it round! On the other hand I have been thinking about this for so long that I'm going round in circles. I have been doing 3d plans on homebyme.com which is useful to visualise. I am stuck with budget though tbh. I think I'm going to have to leave the ovens where they are.

• buzzmummy

Minnie can u repost your last comment I can't see it. Just had the email about it?!

• buzzmummy
    last modified: 4 years ago

Well friends.....there's been some developments! I tried out the idea of having a peninsula by moving my existing freestanding unit to the end of the run next to the bin. Although it is bigger than the small peninsula I was proposing I was interested to see how easy it was to live with. The answer is it wasn't! The ovens being the other side of it meant I had to dash round it to check things in the oven, turn the timer off, etc and I couldn't picture myself doing that all the time. (I do a lot of cooking.) Sadly I don't think at the minute we are up for a major reshuffle of units and ovens and I can't decide what we would do about the boiler unit as its right in the way of that end run. So.....back to original layout!

• buzzmummy
    last modified: 4 years ago

I am now thinking of:

Removing the end panel by the bin to give an occasional perching place on that end .

Adding a couple of oak floating shelves to the bit of wall between extractor and door for neatly displayed cookbooks.

Adding a bridging unit 600mm deep, end panels either side of fridge and a 500mm wide larder unit to the right of fridge to tidy that bit up and make it look more built in.

Painting walls and cabinets and sanding and oiling worktop.

Changing tap.

Giving all appliances a good clean so they look as good as new!!

• buzzmummy

What do you all think?

OnePlan
    Sounds a plan !
    buzzmummy thanked OnePlan