sue_cherry76

Help please: whose fault?

Chopchop Cherry
6 years ago

I really need help please, I had a rear extension 3 years ago, in short within 18 months the new metal supporting beam which was put in has dropped and caused the bedroom floor above to drop and many cracks in the bedroom wall both internal and external.

My problem is that no one will except responsibility, the builder has said he followed the structural engineers' calculations and the council building inspector has said that yes he inspected the RSJ when it was put in and passed it but in the next breath that the builder may have changed something once the inspection was ticked off.

In short, it looks like the metal beam has not be packed enough in the middle so has dropped.

I asked the original structural engineer back but then he disappeared.

I am over a 1000 quid out of pocket as I got a very expensive structural engineer to do a report on the damage , he said the RSJ isn't long enough.

The original builder said he will repair the work but I am not sure I trust him, as he cut a lot of corners first time round, he said the council told him, he does not need to fix the work as it wasn't his fault.

So, whose fault is it?

Surely a builder with a lot of experience would realise a supporting beam isn't long enough!

Or, is the council at fault for passing it?

I can't get in contact with the original structural engineer who I think was recommended by the council.

What do I do next?

Everyone is passing the blame onto the next person.

As for insurance, I was naive and didn't realise at the time that I needed to declare the extension to my insurers before the work took place, I did add it on about 6 - 12 months after the extension was completed, can I ask them for help or am I on my own fighting a builder, the council and a vanishing structural engineer?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

The builder was supposed to come today and he did not show up!

HELP!!

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.