kerrip19

Help needed! External wall repair

kerrip19
6 years ago
Hi all, hoping someone can help me who has a little more building knowledge than I do. I asked a local builder to do some minor maintenance on my home including repairing a couple of cracks under the a window on an external wall. During the site visit, they said they could cut it out, put new concrete and harling in so it would pretty much disappear. The quote supported my understanding - see below
“To cut out 2 no. small cracks in harling below window above front door and remake using snowcrete and sky marble chips.”
The job was completed but the cracks were as visible as ever, maybe a bit whiter. When I queried this, they eventually got back to me and said they had decided to fill the cracks with mastic as this was a better solution than mortar (they didn’t consult with me in advance on this change to the quote). I queried whether this was a cheaper option (it sounds it) and they assure me not, technology has moved on etc etc.
Am I having the wool pulled over my eyes here?? It feels like it :-(
After a lot of hassle, they have said they will come back to do the mortar fix but don’t recommend it and won’t guarantee that it will, cosmetically, look any better.
Do I leave the fix as is or have it done with mortar? Is mastic a cheaper option? I haven’t paid the bill until this is resolved!
I have enclosed a pic of the cracks now that they have been filled with mastic, unfortunately I don’t have a “before” pic. Cracks clearly visible from the street though :-(

Comment (1)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.