jennifer_cleator

Loft Dormer facing under Permitted Development

Jen Star
6 years ago

Hi Houzzers,

Am looking for some general feedback from those that have built a dormer loft in the UK under permitted development, and whether you had any push back if the materials facing a dormer were not "similar" to the "the main roof of the house when viewed from ground level".

I would like the dormer to be rendered to match the rest of the house (its a 1930s semi), and this appears to be meet the requirement of Condition B2(a) as " the materials used in any exterior work shall be of a similar appearance to those used in the construction of the exterior of the existing dwellinghouse" but the above reference to being similar to the roof from ground level is one of the examples provided.

I am using a loft conversion company and there appears to be resistance that it wont meet the permitted development requirements, but I have also seen other projects on here which have done similar?

Shall I push the loft conversion company to submit it, or shall i just go through full planning to get the look I want to achieve? Is there a downside to the latter?

Thanks in advance.

Jenny

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.