titiankim

loft conversion with solar

titiankim
6 years ago
We live in a three bed 1930s semi where the back roof faces almost due south. We've always wanted to install solar PV and/or solar thermal to take advantage of this. But we're now considering converting the loft as we both work from home and need more office/bedroom space. The house has a hipped roof, so we'd need to do a hip to gable conversion at the side to make room for the stairs. Do we just go for velux windows at the back, allowing space for panels in-between, but compromising the size of the bedroom? Ideally we want the loft room to fit a king sized bed and en suite (and one of us is 6ft 4). Or is there a way of combining a dormer with panels? Maybe a shed dormer where panels could be fitted on the slope, or a flat roof dormer that is far enough below the ridge line to allow angled panels on top. Or do we give up on the idea of solar?

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.