novice gardener - help needed
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (9)
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
Need help with my garden
Comments (2)There are specific things you can do with a long, narrow garden. The main aim is to counteract that feeling of standing in a long low corridor. So, create some height with pergolas, arches, trees, etc. Also, you need to move the eye away from the boundaries by introducing shapes, like curves and 45 degree angles that move the eye around the garden and visually change its shape. Another trick is to divide the garden into rooms by introducing divisions - hedges, trellis panel walls, stone walls - to break the garden up and stop the eye settling on the far boundary. This also helps to make the garden more interesting....See MoreNeed help with my Garden
Comments (46)Bearing in mind that you have young children, the focus of the garden in my opinion should be on them. A small patio/dining/relaxing area for adults near the house, and perhaps also at the end of the garden would be lovely. I would also have most of the garden redone in grass (real grass!) with room to play. And I would keep the fence... its the most practical having children near a river, even if they're not babies anymore. I would probably break up the unusual shape of the garden with a few pots, planters and borders 'sticking' out into the garden so the eye is drawn away from the sharp, narrow end. I agree with what was said above though about just living with the space for a bit and seeing how you use it....See MoreA novice starting a Vegetable Garden from scratch.... pls help
Comments (12)Hi, yes, I do try to grow my own veg. I say try, because it's a case of hit and miss. And then try again. But it's so very satisfying when you see your plants grow and you can actually eat what you've grown yourself. So I would definitely recommend it. It's fun and can also be very frustrating. But mostly fun. Even a big pot on your patio, with leaf salad in it is hugely satisfying. Just go out and pick the leaves you need for your salad and let the rest grow for the next time. Anyway, when you grow from seed, water every day. Important to keep the soil moist for the seeds to be able to develop. There's a lot of interesting information on Pinterest and Instagram. If I want to grow green beans for example, I search pinterest for tips on growing them. And I follow a lot of allotment people on Insta. Also, look for Charles Dowding on youtube. What do you want to grow? I like to interplant my vegetables with flowers. Makes it look pretty and some flowers have beneficial qualities for the veg. So for example Tagetes (also easy to grow from seed) work against some harmful nematodes that eat your potatoes....See MoreTriangular garden with small depth borders - NEED HELP
Comments (5)Climbers would be an excellent idea as they tend not to grow outwards as much as shrubs. Lovely scented climbers are Honeysuckle, Star Jasmine (evergreen), Climbing Roses and Clematis. I don’t think there is much room for underplanting, so I would stick with small perennials such as hardy Geraniums, Aubretia, Erigeron and Alchemilla mollis. Box is quite formal and will need regular trimming. Unfortunately they are also prone to Box blight which has affected some areas in the UK but not others - worth a google! You could also place something of interest at the end such as a statue/piece of art or a water feature....See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago




Emily