tim_summers15

Internal door colour ?

Tim Summers
5 years ago

Hi,

Our downstairs doors needed a bit of TLC as when we first moved in we quickly painted them white gloss (over existing white gloss - although tobacco gold is what I would have called it lol). Anyway, as it was a quick job over time some of the paint has been scratched off, and they're generally looking a little grubby. Not to mention hating the old fashioned brass door-handles.

Old:

new:

So, I fitted the handles, filled up the old handle holes. As the existing paint was painted over the top of an already glossed door (and we did rubbish prep) I am now in the middle of the awful job of stripping the doors back as best as I can, then I'll undercoat them and the a final silk top layer.

This is what one of the doors look like as of last night:

I could strip it down more I know, but I seriously don't have the time or energy. I'll get a wire brush over it tonight just to make sure that there are no flakes left, and to also break up the gloss underneath to give the undercoat something better to grip onto.

What is the general opinion out there of internal door colour. I know that it's generally considered to be either bare wood, or white, but what about something else ?

I was thinking of something like F&B Purbeck Stone:

or lamp room grey

Has anyone done this, or been in houses where the internal door are something a little different than the norm ? Is this a good idea ?

Basically, what are you general thoughts - and please feel free to throw some other colours at me if you have any great ideas. The door-frames and skirts will stay white, and from memory the walls are F&B Elephants Breath.

Many thanks

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.