becca_e_low

Single storey rear extension - HELP!

Rebecca Low
5 years ago

We have a semi-detached house - with a lean-to that we want to get rid of and replace with something much more usable. Current house:

We had an architect draw up plans to extend our kitchen at the back into a family room, which would then open out into the garden. Due to the size of the extension (goes out 4m internally) - it has to be an apex rather than a pitched roof. To get a downstairs WC in - we also decided to go out a bit sideways at the back, which is onto our shared driveway, or at least the blue small triangle where there is shared access!

Didn't realise just how much hassle and expense this would be, as it means changing our deeds etc, and it was glossed over by the architect as not being an issue...

We've already put in about £8000 into the architect, structural engineer and planning permission, so far. Our initial budget was 50k...currently builders are quoting us about 60K including VAT. If we add in solicitor fees to change the deeds etc this is all becoming far too expensive

Any suggestions on what we should do? Call it quits? Just take the plunge and hope for the best? Change the plans - don't go out at all towards the side, look at putting a WC in under the stairs instead? Go out at the side but further back so it doesn't go over the shared access part of the drive?

really tempted to just give up and look for a new house to move into instead!

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.