kjsher77

First home - layout advice, please?

kjsher77
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello all,

I am new to Houzz having just bought my first home (which has been a looonng time coming). It needs an awful lot doing to it from rewiring, new heating system/boiler and a more suitable layout. As I haven't done anything like this before I would be grateful for any advice from those who have, especially in terms of optimising space.

I have uploaded the general floor plan, along with select pics to show the current status. There is also a (newly built) garage on the side of (and accessed through ) the utility. It extends beyond the utility into the garden - maybe by 0.5-1 m). There is plenty of dead space in front of the garage right up to the front garden.

We would like to knock through the toilet/bathroom and also the kitchen/dining room and pull down the utility (this is a bit of a disaster of an out-house, and is attached to the garage).

The grand plan would eventually be to extend the garage along the side of the house to create a utility and storage and to extend the kitchen out into the garden.

Our dilemma is trying to modernise and update as much as we can do (for as little as possible) that will set the foundations for future improvements. We're hoping to spend 20K but can stretch to 30K.

The dining room is 4.57m x 3.66m; the kitchen is 2.44m x 2.44m)

What we would like is:

1. An open plan kitchen/diner for cooking and entertaining. If possible I would like an island.

2. A bathroom that feels spacious/luxurious. One idea was to steal some of the space from the bathroom and create an ensuite for the second bedroom (which we could use as the master). I get this is terms of resale, but don't want to create a cramped bathroom in doing so?

Sorry for the long post - any advice appreciated!!! Thanks.

External (showing space for garage move)

Dining room

Kitchen

Kitchen (look at that boiler?!!)

Utility

Bathroom

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.