tim_summers15

Double Garage Conversion

Tim Summers

Hi, it's time that I re-aquatint myself with Houzz. I've posted most of my house projects on here previously and received some great assistance along the way with the help of various posters on here.

So, as the title suggests - We're now in the very early stages of converting our double garage.

Why - the Mrs has gone self employed now and wants to bring her business in-house. She's a masseuse. We thought about investing in a specific 'garden room' but to be honest, with the size and finish that we want then you're looking at a lot of money, £15k ish. We looked at maybe a cabin of some description - but I'm not paying £5/6k for what essentially is just a glorified shed. To get that insulated, electrics etc would just be throwing money at it.

So we've decided on converting the garage - it's currently being used as 1) Gym and 2) general dumping ground. Yeah it's going to cost a few quid, but I think that it'll add value to the house, and we won't loose any garden space, or driveway space.

I will be throwing some design ideas around as I want to design it with longevity in mind, such as should situations change throughout the future the space can change as well. We already have electrics in there, and it backs onto the downstairs toilet so plumbing shouldn't be too much of an issue (she wants a small sink in there). Hopefully the amount of light will be ok with only a door and large window across the front without having to open up the side.

If anyone has any advice that they would like to offer then please feel free to input anything - good or bad. Also, throw some ideas into the hat, I'm sure that you'll think of something that I've not.

Budget I'm not quite sure how much I'm prepared to pay yet. I think that I will speak to the Mortgage people and see what can be done through them first, that'll at least give me something to work with. If they make it difficult then I have the money in various accounts elsewhere, but I'm not sure how much I want to break into those yet. I'm randomly thinking somewhere in the region of £10k max. My cousin is a builder and has just finished building his own house so I know he'll do me a decent job so I may get him around.