Help with partial garage conversion

bethan Rees

Looking to partly convert the garage to extend our kitchen. By doing this we would extend the kitchen to the utility room and use half the garage space. With the other half we would use 1/4 of it to create another utility room and then the other 1/4 at the front of the garage would be left as it is for storage purposes. So from the outside it would look unchanged.

The house is a 4 bedroom semi with 1 of the bedrooms above the garage. We only use the garage to store and dump stuff so converting the garage would hopefully make better use of the space. We also really like the location of the house but have always felt that we could do with a bigger kitchen/dining area to entertain. Unfortunately we haven’t got space to build an extension in the garden.

Is it a bad idea to even think about doing this?

We’ve never done anything like this before and would be very interested in hearing any thoughts or suggestions.