webuser_961861852

Help with kitchen/diner design after garage conversion

Ellie M
3 years ago

Hi everyone

We are getting a garage conversion in order to make a bigger kitchen/diner space as we have changed the previous dining room into a playroom.

The difficulty we are having is finding a layout to include a dining table (seating about 6) which doesn’t just feel like the table is plonked in the middle of the kitchen. I have included the plans to give an idea of the space (we were going to have an extension as well but we’re not doing that now so have covered the extension part up with an envelope!) Looking at the current kitchen photo, the back wall will be the wall opening up into the garage conversion. We could just have an “L” shape kitchen and then have the dining table under the window that’s currently on the right hand side but I don’t like the fact it feels like it will be in a walk way because the boiler will have to stay there and we have the utility door next to it. I have uploaded photos of a design someone sent which I don’t like.

I really wanted an almost separate area for the table that was at the end of the kitchen to make it more of dining space but unfortunately that doesn’t seem to work at either end. We tried to see if we could get the table in the new converted garage section in the top right but I think that’s too tight.

I also really wanted an island or a peninsular but again it doesn’t look like we have the space for that either which is a shame as I wanted it to look really modern.

Sorry I know that was long but any help on layout is appreciated!

Comments (15)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.