Houzz Logo Print
webuser_403535064

Should I paint my hallway dark?

6 years ago

Hi All

I have a strangely shaped, dark and narrow in areas entrance hall, stairway and landing (see floor plan below). I always have to have either the ceiling light or the console table lamp on. All the images I've pinned on Pinterest are dark (example below) so I was thinking about doing this but I'm worried it'll be too dark, especially on the wall directly opposite the front door. Also, if you think the colour would work would you continue it all over the upstairs landing as well? I've always thought you needed something light and neutral in a hallway so that the rooms that lead off it don't jar. I see in my inspiration photo they've done some kind of waved line or something so that upstairs turns white. I'm not sure I'm brave enough for this!

I'm going to have a new, but similar carpet going up the stairs, remove the hand rail on the wall going up the stairs and I have beautiful old oak doors which I don't want to paint. I may also remove the strange half wall at the foot of the stairs (subject to cost).

I'd love a tiled floor in the downstairs hallway but willing to consider other options.

If this isn't the right design does anyone have any other suggestions?







Any help would be fab! Thanks in advance, Caroline

Comments (22)