wallpaper1947

Should I paint my living room in a new build in a dark colour?

wallpaper1947
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Id love to repaint my living room walls (east facing) in a dark colour such as Inchyra blue walls with white ceilings. But I live in a new build so the finished look wont look anywhere as good as that in an Edwardian house with high ceilings. I’m also conscious painting white ceilings will probably make the ceiling look lower. In terms of lighting the room has a standars square window and as the conservatory joins onto the the living room most of the light comes from there. Also would you recommend painting the skirting boards the same colour as the wall or painting them white? I will have white upvc doors leading to conservatory and white French doors leading into another small room from the living room.

If you can please provide any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. Has anybody else done this please and did it work in making the room look grown up and not too dark? Photos would be helpful.

Photo below could be a safe fallback option to consider 2 light colours :

Photos below shows type of dark blue colour I’m considering - husband thinks we should just have one feature wall with that Colour.

Have attached photo of current layout Showing small window + conservatory.

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.