keswing

Help with planting a border from scratch

keswing
3 years ago

Hi,

I’m based in the UK and looking for advice on the positioning of plants within a border.

I’ve chosen the plants I’d like to use but I don’t know how to bring it all together! I really need help with identifying which plants should go at the back of the border, front next to each other etc. I’m a bit of a novice and really want to avoid creating a shambles with lots of plants swamping each other.

I’ve already cut out the border and other than an existing Bamboo Fargasia which is in the corner I will be starting from scratch. (See diagram)

I like plants with interesting foliage, colours and textures and ideally want to end up with a scheme that nods to the exotic and tropical. I’m hoping to do this with the following plant choices:

Hostas

Fatsia Japonica

Heuchera

Phormius

Carex Comans

Euphorbia Wulfenii

Mahonia Oregon Grape

Crocasmia Tangerine Queen

Cordyline

Canna

Any advice you have would be really appreciated

Comments (16)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.