monidda

Our Lockdown Transformation

Monica
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi everyone :) One of the nice things coming out of this horrid pandemic was the renovation of our en-suite. The room is 1,26 m x 2.26 m and the easiest room I have ever designed, made all of my choices in less than 48 hours and nothing had to go back.... unheard off. We lived with the *BLUE Beauty* for far too long but finally we can enjoy our new space. I found the perfectly sized console for a cool £50, painted and DIY-ed a marble resin top for it, then couldn't believe my luck when I found some wicker baskets that fitted like they were meant for it, saving me a lot of money in having some made bespoke which was the plan. We both had one must have each , hubby wanted a drench shower head ( ugh, I am not a fan) and I wanted a small stool to help with the daily dry brushing before my shower. Tick and tick :)

Comments (74)

• Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you darling Caro :) that's such a huge compliment <3 Yes, it was the mirror that started everything off. <3

• E D
    3 years ago

On the subject of photos, can you share one that shows your WC and where it is more clearly?

• Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ED you just wanted to see my bin and toilet brush didn’t you?? 🤣🤣 ......and my bright green cleaning cloth poking out *rolls eyes*

• Jules Mc
    3 years ago

Just gorgeous Monica. Amazed at it all but the resin worktop is fantastic.

• Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Jules :)

• Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Minnie. we were very lucky. A week before it happened we put s discreet track on the ceiling to allow me to hang some simple panels to deal with the beaming sun. The part of the toilet failed and water started leaking and found its way out virtually straight away through one of the drilled holes. We turned the water off immediately and that was that :) there isn't even a mark on that ceiling. Very lucky :) Oh NOO your beautiful wallpaper is going :( Still your new plans for it sound fab and I look forward to seeing them. Currently our bedroom is stripped up and awaiting its fresh coat of plaster unless I go all out for a grasscloth wallpaper. I just took delivery of some gorge fabric for our headboard, I went for the yummy large scale toile from Lewis and Wood called Royal Oak in the spring colour way. We found lockdown DULL with a capital D but wow tried to keep busy. the spending is out of control mind lol

• E D
    3 years ago

Even the wc is cleverly and stylishly fitted. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Now, about your bin... 🤣

Monica thanked E D
  • Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

HAHAHAHAAAA, its the old one we've had ED, and Iit was the one thing I wasn't going to change. Remember, you was never meant to see it ... well I tried to keep it under wraps LOL

The only thing that doesn't work is the position of the toilet roll, you have to contort your arm to actually retrieve some.. but its a small price to pay so I am sucking it up.

• Daisy England
    3 years ago

That is so much better. Looks lovely.

Monica thanked Daisy England
  • Laura Thomas
    3 years ago

Love it, looks so stylish! What an amazing transformation, and very impressed with the resin worktop.

Monica thanked Laura Thomas
  • Victoria
    3 years ago

How heat resistant is the resin Monica?

• Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much Daisy and Laura :) . Victoria apparently its extremely resilient, can handle pots straight from the hob with no problem. Can be polished to a honed finish as well which I will attempt next for our bathroom reno. I realised that's what all the Quartz probably is. Resin mixed with stone dust, veins added before it gets polished up. I'm wondering if I could buy some stone dust now hahahaaaa

• minnie101
    3 years ago

Well done ceiling track! That could have been very messy ☹️

I haven’t spotted that fabric by them but I do like their Adam’s Eden wallpaper, it’s going to look gorgeous! Is yours a Corbeilles bed too? Your house is going to be very worthy of a Houzz tour soon 😊

I think it’s just the drinking out of control in our house 😂

• Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yeah very lucky and I am not mentioning booze or lockdown. No the Corbeille is only a double and is in our smallest guest room. Master was the first room we started on, I was desperate for some mirror foiled wallpaper at the time (very quickly realised it just wasn't me) Then we changed all the windows and the reveals got damaged so we knew it would all need re doing. Well the en suite made it look is ready for that makeover, so I am cracking on with that next (using up all the money we saved for the garden which we couldn't start due to Covid). The headboard is a DIY we did 22 years ago, started like as a tall square shape then we re shaped it about 10 years. The yellow corduroy was a £3 remnant which was going to be reupholstered to go with the new foiled wallpaper and it never happened. I m excited to see it with this gorgeous fabric and yes Minnie I love the pomegranate and Adam's Eden too. Here's the pics, pic1. current situation, pic 2. the fabric over the headboard, pic 3. desperate to use that grasscloth look wallpaper that I already have but not sure if a little too samey green, pic4. and the fabric against a darker grey.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    3 years ago

Any updates from the latest lockdown ? What have you been up to ??

• Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Aww my darling Karen, we have been so busy indeed. Our master bedroom is nearly all finished apart from a few soft furnishing projects like the tailored bed skirt, and me finishing off the pleated lampshades. Oh and some egg nests prints to be hung. I am so happy with how it turned out and it matches the en suite well. How are you my darling?

• Carolina
    3 years ago

It's absolutely gorgeous, Monica

Monica thanked Carolina
  • Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you my sweet girl, I will take a better picture at some point so you can see it better. And the last two bedrooms have been ripped out ready for us to turn them over 😊

• PRO
    OnePlan
    3 years ago

Ahhhh that looks so wonderful!!!
    Still keeping busy and managing to avoid catching ‘you know what’ so far - touch wood ?!

Monica thanked OnePlan
  • Ro Ro
    3 years ago

Aw, Monica!

I remember you doing the brass upholstery tacks on the bedside chest in the top pic!!! Six years ago? More? We really had a hilarious and funny old season of group chat back then...!

You seem to have really grown in confidence and your new look is very accomplished!

Lovely to see this posting! Wishing you all the best! xx

Monica thanked Ro Ro
  • Tani H-S
    3 years ago

Looks amazing! Wish I found it so easy to design a room 🤣

Monica thanked Tani H-S
  • Victoria
    3 years ago

So do we Tani 🤣🤣🤣

Monica thanked Victoria
  • Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ha, Tami it has never happened before and I doubt it will ever happen again, I am nearly 6 months in with our bedroom and I've still not nailed everything.

• Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Aww @Ro Ro how wonderful to hear from you, yes you are right it has been 6 years, WOW !! How are you doing with that beautiful home of yours?

• Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@OnePlan aww Karen, I have answered this already but goodness knows where it went. Yes, both safe and staying out of it all a little longer, its been the mother of all years hasn't it?? Hope you are both safe too darling <3

• PRO
    OnePlan
    3 years ago

So far so good - I’m up early rendering this weeks projects - no rest for the wicked !!

• Holly Grand
    3 years ago

Hi, I just want to say that it's amazing. It looks like Pinterest photos, how did you do that? I like the colors you choose and how they match. I like your mirror, where did you get it?

Monica thanked Holly Grand
  • Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Gosh Karen you was up VERY EARLY !!! Glad to hear you are seeing busy and out of mischief though LOL

@Holly Grand thank you, the mirror was from a company called @the.farthing.co.uk

• lauren_hazel50
    3 years ago

Monica please can you provide some details about how you did the resin top? It looks lovely!!

• Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lauren, there are 1000's of tutorials online. Just do a simple google search on youtube then binge a ton of videos until you find one you like the look of, and follow that.

• PRO
    Expand & Build Ltd
    3 years ago

Great transformation!

Monica thanked Expand & Build Ltd
  • Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much @Expand & Build Ltd

• yvonnegw
    3 years ago

Can I be really stupid and ask - what is the yellowy oval thing above the taps?

• Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@yvonnegw its a very convenient hand soap on a clever stand which means there s no soggy soap bottoms on the soap dish. Lasts for ages too. Its by a French company called Provendi but there's a few fake a like options out there as well that are just as good. The French refill soap is divine though, definitely get that :)

• yvonnegw
    3 years ago

@Monica Thanks. I did think that but good to have it confirmed. I will look into that - what a great idea!

• Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Pleasure, it's fantastic, and everyone that saw it bought one as a result. Much more environmentally friendly albeit not as posh looking <3

• LTS
    3 years ago

Oh my this is just fabulous....think I’ll nab it for my ensuite. Just kidding, I’d never be able to do something like this!!

Monica thanked LTS
  • Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@LTS Thank you so much Sally, how kind of you to say <3

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

Either I missed this or Covid has addled my brain. This is so stunning, you are very clever!

Monica thanked Juliet Docherty
  • Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Juliet Docherty thank you so much lovely, but I was dead sure you messaged at the time of me posting these pictures <3

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

I probably did but having just seen them again it all felt so new. Every day is the same at the moment so not surprised I am losing it!

• Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh goodness me isn't it just??? I am just grateful you still love it the second time round *mwah* <3

• E D
    3 years ago

Ha, my grandma used to have one of those metal soap rollers in her loo!

I’m pretty sure it had yellow soap on it too.

Hadn‘t noticed it before, Monica, possibly because it -unconsciously- looked ‘normal’ to me. 😊

• Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Everything comes back round eventually doesn’t it? We are total converts 😝

• J W
    3 years ago

Well done. It’s lovely.

Monica thanked J W
  • Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much @J W

• C D
    3 years ago

Love the whole room but special mark for the soap!!!
    I am french and I grow up with soaps like that - all the toilet sinks in my primary school were fitted with one :) So many memories! Thx

Monica thanked C D
  • Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@C D how wonderful. Thank you for your sweet words :)

• Monica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Shirley Hayden Thank you so much. :)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.