kate_renouf

Window frame colour question

Kate Renouf
3 years ago

We are staggering to the end of a renovation of a classic old Jersey house (outside rendered, although inside we've managed to expose granite walls etc). The two sides and the back, which are mostly modern/extended) are having black (not grey) metal window frames, but the traditional front still has five sash windows (double glazed ones just being put in now) - 3 along the top, 2 on the ground floor with a traditional front door. Think a typical dolls house, only we've moved the front door from the bottom centre to the right. The roof is slate, with dark solar panels. The fascias and guttering are black. We like dark houses, as you can tell, and like a house that will blend into the shrubbery (we're on a hillside) rather than standing out.

Inside, partly for budgetary reasons but partly because we like the raw look, the colours are the local orangey-pink granite, white walls, black accents (door handles, large original range etc) and various random bits of plywood, screed & concrete.

After much discussion we've settled on Farrow & Ball's DownPipe for the exterior colour. It looks like a dark grey but has lots of green and blue in it, depending on the light. https://www.farrow-ball.com/paint-colours/down-pipe. It's going to be hard to put us off that, so working with that, WHAT COLOUR DO WE PAINT THE SASH WINDOWS?!!!

One window company we went to refused to guarantee them if we painted them black/dark because they'd warp quicker in the heat (they'll be west-facing). White is the easy option but I'm worried it'll look too stark. At the moment the new frames are primed grey and that looks quite nice, but I'm worried about it just being another random colour in the palette. And sometimes I think I'd like to go wild with the front door and paint it raspberry pink, or pale ocean blue or something.

Just curious, really, for suggestions. Houzz has been critical to me refining our design thinking over the last few years, but I've never asked a question! Thanks in advance for suggestions.

PS I'm posting a picture of the house, before we got started (we've now lost the porch and have a front door now on the bottom right).

Comments (19)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.