susanna_thomas

Monster deck advice please

special morning

Hi I am hoping for some advice on a deck i have just had built. It main purpose was to straddle a drop in the garden levels - on the left the top of the handrail is 120cm from the ground and on the right going along the fence, its 270cm drop.
Theres a 1m gap between the fence and the deck, obvious with that steep gradient.
My issues are many. But I cant work out how to nestle it into the landscape. And to screen the views of neighbours' houses when you are on it.
The garden is mainly deciduous although there are evergreens in gardens around. Its fairly traditional as well, not modern. Our house is similar to the red brick one you see - ie Victorian.
Idea 1. Replace the ballustrade with a lighter, criss cross design and possibly paint cream- which will match the paint on the house windows?
Idea 2. Plant some hedging between the deck and the fence that will grow along level with top of pergola - eg leylandii but better, or griselinia littoris.
Any others ideas welcomed.
You wont offend me as I pretty much hate the thing right now.