Want a wood-clad wall - which way to go
11 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (7)
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Discussions
Which wood option should I go for?
Comments (10)Ah, hold on, it's getting very confusing. First time I saw this post was on my iPad. Now I'm at the computer and the photos appear in a different order. Such fun! On the iPad, the one with the plant on top is the first photo. Here it is the third. So, to be clear; the one that looks better to me is the one with the plant on top, the ironbridge furniture one. But the wood doesn't match the mirror. Not knowing what's going on in the rest of the room (floor and furniture), it's a bit difficult to say whether it will look good or not. Still, it's always difficult to match wood....See Morewhich way to lay our kitchen wood floor?
Comments (7)Hi Jaclyn, we always recommend laying the flooring in the direction of your light source. The effect is more attractive and can help to emphasise those beautiful grain patterns and natural textures that we love about wood flooring. As your kitchen is longer than it is wide, you'll be able to lay a good few lengths down the room and this will look really impressive as you walk in. We wouldn't worry about this meaning the planks are laid a different way to your living room - it's how the room looks when you're in it that counts! (:...See MoreOptimal Floor Plan: Which walls go and which ones stay?
Comments (6)I like your idea of the layout. There are a couple of places where I thought the cost implication probably isn’t worth it. For instance you have moved a door and wall for the larger of the entry level bedrooms. The net result is that you gain a little in the hall and a walk in wardrobe. Personally I think you shouldn’t spend the money moving walls here you should just buy nice furniture. I notice you have moved out the hot water storage tank. Of course this is possible- were you going to change the boiler anyway? If you were going to make a new boiler I would try to move it into one of the loft voids but if you are already stretching the budget then leave well alone. I like the kitchen being open to the living room but you will have to have a door to the hall to meet regulations. I think that the kitchen design could be improved by moving the sink, having no units under the window and a bigger island. Consider what surface you want on the island and how easy it will be to get it up the stairs. I think that you should think about how many people you want to accommodate in the lounge. Currently it looks like you can sit more at the dining table than the sofa area. You need to think about where you want the TV. If you want to keep the fireplace the TV above may be too high up. I also think you should investigate where the waste from the upstairs bathroom flows. If it flows straight down near the hot water cylinder then you may have options for moving the bathroom or making an extra ensuite. Upstairs I would try moving the clothes rails out of the way and placing the bed on that wall rather than half in what was probably once a wardrobe. I think then you will feel much better about this room. You should also consider your budget and how much work you are prepared to do yourself. At this stage most people need to prioritise- for instance I would be looking at spending £25k on a kitchen, £4k on decorating, £5k on flooring, £4K on window treatments, and £6k on each bathroom, £7k on new boiler in a new location. If this is a first property you likely need furniture too. How much is available after the finishing jobs to knock walls around?...See MoreIdeas wanted for Kitchen/Diner/ Living Layout - which way to go?
Comments (11)As requested. It was all about the kitchen area, but I went ahead and did the whole ground floor, trying to keep in mind flow, storage and practicality. Perhaps even a future downstairs bedroom instead of playroom, hence the shower room. I extended the hallway to create extra storage (vacuum cleaner, pantry), making the kitchen back wall go optically flush with the hallway wall (is that correct english?). No double doors to the front lounge, to keep it cozy. The long cloakroom seemed unpractical, so I downsized it, made a nice little hallway toilet, while still leaving 1m2 plant area in the utility. The side entrance area is made wider, about 160cm, so it can be used as bootroom (seemed more logical to store most shoes and coats here instead of front porch), with shower room and utility on the side, major plus is natural light! Back to the kitchen. In the floorplan below you see a 230x95cm dining table, a 250x250cm corner sofa, an extra long island 336x98cm and at least 4 tall units plus 'coffee station' behind it. It will all fit in, as that was your original question, right? ;) I'd reconsider the rooflights, as a south facing room will most likely get plenty daylight in with the full width windows/doors (all panels have the same size, my old software didn't accept drawing the bifold in 3 panels). But if you are set on some light from above, pick two narrower rooflight models that go near the structural beam, in line with the old window on the side (or was it a doorway?), which I kept as I love a bit of quirk. Let me know your thoughts, if you'd like to see more and to return a favour paypal.me/rinkedit....See More- 11 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago



Naken Interiors