New timber framed passivhaus project
11 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (10)
- 11 years ago
Related Discussions
It’s go, Go ....... GO !!! – Kitchen / Diner project.
Comments (81)Well, the chippies van was up the drive when I got home from work - a little unexpected. At first I thought that he was sleeping with the Mrs, but then I remembered that he needed to finish the skirting boards. He's done a cracking job - quite a few tricky internal/external corners, plus the corners not being exactly 90 degrees he was back and forth to his saw all the time. He really did a stirling job. It was 13 meters of skirting in total - which took him 4.5 hours in total (over 2 evenings) and it cost me £90. Considering I was origionally going to do it, it could well be the best £90 I've spent on this whole kitchen. I need to get a lick of paint inside the alcove that's pictured. Our little fishtank will be returning in there, but as it's out I may as well do it. When we get the bar stools, and dining room table & chairs I will update again. So: What would I change/add/remove ADD - Somewhere to hang the tea-towels. We have some on the inside of a cuboard, but they keep falling off. Maybe I need some slightly more expensive 'hangers'. The space where they could have gone we put a spice rack/draw thingie - that's probably better though. ADD - We forgot about the bin! Now we have our pedal-bin basically kicking around the kitchen. The Mrs has already filled the cupboards to maximum capacity so I'm having trouble getting an internal cupboard one past her. I think I may just fit one then deal with her later. The bin has gravitated to a semi-perminant place, but with the kids trying to be *cough* helpfull the wall is already beginning to get the odd splatter of 'stuff' where they just throw their food in the general direction of it. Last night I said 'Well, why don't we just put it in the utility room' - She shot that idea down instantly as she obviously isn't happy about the extra 4 steps that it would take to walk all-that-way into another room. Poor thing! Typical woman lol. ADD - At the start of the project I would have got the electricians to chase in another mains wire from the fusebox so that it comes out of the kitchen wall centrally to the back garden, then I would put a PIR Security Light in. I know that it's not a big job by any means, and I could, and probably will, do it myself over the coming weeks but if I could have had it without a wire on the outside of the house then that'd would have been perfect. Also, thinking about it, I would have actually got him to do it at the front of the house as well as he re-wired the whole downstairs with new fusebox etc....See MoreFront door advice? Would a timber door suit our mock tudor house?
Comments (15)I agree with darker - I think the reason the light door PP posted looks good is the style. A light colour with a modern design wouldn't have the same effect. This a Cromwellian house in Herefordshire fitted with one of our stainless steel Letterplates and the door colour looks great with the black and white. The porch timber is paler than the rest of the house timbers (you can just see the black window frame to the right) and is a modern addition but as it's still a shade of grey it all works well together. Have fun deciding!...See MoreNeed your help with this bathroom! Project come to grinding halt!
Comments (15)I am not sure the loo has to be on the outside wall - it could be anywhere, you just have to box in the large pipe that will run from it to the outside wall. I know it's irritating when people say start again but the room seems a bit bitty and if the basin and loo were in a run of units, separated by small cupboards, with a continuous surface along the top of the whole run, it would look really rather sleek. And the pipe could run under the units, hidden by it - that's what I've done in my bathroom. Stick a mirror above the units, covering the whole wall from surface to ceiling, and side to side, and it will make the room seem much bigger. Are you having a towel radiator in there? That will add some character if you have towels that complement the colours you choose. Then add some interesting bits and pieces to make it seem less utilitarian....See MoreDouble Story Extension - any one else starting a project soon?
Comments (74)Wow that looks beautiful, I am jealous of the brick. We wanted a very similar colour brick but the council wouldn’t allow and I didn’t want the red brick so we went with blocks and hopefully crisp render. We started our build towards end of Jan. Double extension, the foundations laid and then had the structural engineer out and final final details drawn up. The ground floor blocks have been laid and the scaffold has gone up so don’t know how long that will take. Our builders seem on track and have said August finish but I think it will be September/October Tani how many bedrooms did you have built and how many rooms downstairs? Also from start date to now what has the time scale been? Xx...See More- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago


Mo