Extension
10 years ago


Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (11)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
Have you had an extension done?
Comments (23)Extensions take many different forms but, often make all the difference connecting inside living spaces to exterior gardens. Here are a few we have done recently: side and back extension... double height extension... Rear extension... roof top extension......See MoreOpen plan/ Extension?
Comments (6)Lauren, I would echo the above regarding questioning whether an extension is really necessary. You need to be conscious of making the property too bottom-heavy. If it is possible to extend into the loft, and increase the number of bedrooms perhaps this isn't an issue. Using the existing floorpan, I would perhaps suggest locating the kitchen along the majority of the left hand side with a bank of tall units (accommodating fridge, freezer & ovens). The storage beneath the stairs could then become a pantry/larder. A generous island could accommodate sink, hob and prep areas, and a breakfast bar would make this an incredibly sociable space. I would also support the idea of a downstairs WC, and possibly also a utility space in the central space around the current store. The existing kitchen could become the dining space, but here I would suggest maximising natural light by replacing doors with floor-to-ceiling glazing, either as doors or fixed windows. Budget allowing, I would suggest minimising the masonry on the corner to maximise visibility to the garden; corner-to-corner glazing would be perfect. Regards, Simon...See MoreExtensions: glass box or traditional?
Comments (6)Horses for courses here I think. Where an extension to a traditional building is at rear ground level, I have no strong preference as between traditional materials, conservatory, or glass extension - and am planning a glass extension to the back of my Victorian house. Once you get higher up, or with something visible from the road, then I am strongly in favour of the traditional look with as much care as possible being taken to make the extension look as if it was always part of the building. I am aware that "reproduction" is sometimes considered a rude word, and also of the school which considers good modern design in an extension preferable to reproduction, and tends to equate glass with good modern design. In my view, that is not always the case. As a rule of thumb (but subject to the requirements of the particular site), I would prefer to see modern design in clearly visible extensions to older buildings confined to larger, usually non-domestic, sites....See MoreExtensions - upwards, downwards or outwards?
Comments (4)Rear, I live in a bungalow and prefer 1 story living, the plan always has been to extend, convert kitchen in to a second living room/ guest room, then open out current living room, dining room and sun room into new extension and have a broken plan living room/ dining room/ kitchen, also moving a bedroom back further into garden to have walk in wardrobe , utility and en-suite. Big plans no budget!!!...See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 9 years ago







walshyrunsOriginal Author