jennifercairn

Chimney breast / Fireplace / Kitchen question

jennifercairn
8 years ago

We have a large chimney breast (with a fireplace on one side) that separates the kitchen and family room. It's a strange location and is just bang in the middle of the room. I'm wondering if anyone has a brilliant idea for what to do! I'm open to removing it, but that could be a big hassle since it's load bearing... Or perhaps create a passthrough somehow?

I want to create a flow between the kitchen and family room. We were thinking of using the family room as the relaxed dining area and the chimney breast makes it feel like a totally separate space - but it's not big enough to be the proper 'hang out' room.

The home is an old Italianate Victorian from the 1880s so I want to keep with the character of the house.

I'm at a loss! Please help :)

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.