min266

Chimney breast - creating a stylish TV recess

min266
6 years ago

Hi, we have just moved into a Victorian house and have been deliberating over the living room area. The two front rooms have been opened up so that they are one large room but we are looking to have two different feels within each. In the back half we're really going after a 'lounge' feel. A comfy sofa and a place to relax and watch TV. In the back half we have a closed off chimney breast which we initially thought about knocking down but have now decided against it to avoid losing some of the character of the room.

So instead, our grand plan is as follows (sketch attached):

- build a recess into the existing chimney breast to hold a 50" TV (will require a lintel support)

- have enough space to also store a soundbar

- install a channel for cables to feed down to the side and have a plug socket within the recess for the TV itself

- dvd player, sky boxes etc will be stored to the right hand side in a cupboard

However, before we go ahead we were looking for some design inspiration. The chimney breast is 79" wide and as you can see from the picture the ceilings are very high. Given the seating position of the sofa (approx 2.8m from sofa to front of chimney breast) the TV needs to be set at a sensible height to avoid a sub-optimal viewing angle. This leaves a large empty gap at the top of the wall.

This brings me to my 2 questions:

1. Would you design it in any other way? Have seen plenty of pictures where people have an active fireplace and set the TV above. Not a fan of this. Other options are to create a storage shelf below the TV.

2. What other practical considerations are there? Am I missing anything (other than building logistics).

Thanks in advance

Comments (21)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.