katherineolivia6

Bespoke Kitchen Update

katherineolivia6
8 years ago
We have a beautiful bespoke kitchen, handmade by my Father, so it's not in the question to rip it out. I want to change the flooring and I'm inclined to paint the oak dresser (which actually houses our fridge freezer). I'm loving dark inky blues or a dark midnight grey however I'm worried about that area of the kitchen not receiving any natural light? All ideas & inspiration welcome!

Comments (30)

• freshairapps
    8 years ago

Think about the lighting design. Recessed lights in the ceiling for example, could be angled to illuminate the front of the large dresser bathing them in light.

Running some LED strip lights underneath & ontop of the high level cupboards will create an ambient glow to the kitchen lighting upwards to the ceiling and downwards onto the worksurfaces.

Always have the LED's on dimmers to control the intensity and don't forget to match the colour temperatures between luminaires at least 2700k.

Just my 10c but its amazing how a space can be transformed by clever lighting. This way you can afford to go darker on the cabinets, maybe lighter on the flooring to reflect back light into the room.

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi Katherine. It's a beautiful kitchen, very talented father. This is just my opinion but the dresser is really quite large and I think it would be quite imposing to have it in a dark colour. I would either paint it in the kitchen colour or the ŵall colour to make it recede. Perhaps use the darker colour for the table and chairs or even the door but can't see it properly (plus use elsewhere in the house!) Perhaps pull the table away from the ŵall a little and add a big vase of flowers so it becomes more of the focal point?

• Related Discussions

Bespoke kitchen refurb with bespoke mirror backsplash

Q

Comments (3)
    Daisy - I don't mind the has hob (although I'm eyeing up an induction hob) I think it may be the mirrored splashback. Don't get me wrong I love mirrors in all shapes and forms but in this case I think it is reflecting too much of the opposite space? I have a glass splashback but went for very subtle Smokey pale green/grey backing that does not reflect the opppsite side of the room. This one just mnn ...
    ...See More

bespoke kitchen hood

Q

Comments (5)
    If this was a traditional painted wood kitchen the kitchen manufacturer would be likely making a wall mounted box to put an off the shelf extractor into. There are plenty that are designed to be used as canopy extractors. So what you need is someone to make the box in the style you like. Kitchen manufacturers probably can’t do it because you want this wrapped in sheet metal. You should work out exactly the dimensions you want, draw a plan and source an extractor and then approach a steel fabricator to build it- he may have to check that the wall can take the weight too.
    ...See More

Bespoke kitchen recommendation

Q

Comments (4)
    We design for clients who are wanting to shop around with their own set of plans ... click on my icon to see some examples and read some client reviews if you like. :-)
    ...See More

Before & After - a brand new kitchen taken out for a bespoke re-model

Q

Comments (2)
    Loving the new kitchen and addition of the dining table. It looks like a very social place to be, giving an inviting atmosphere! Tara Taylor
Project Manager
Essex and London Construction, Basements, Extensions and Loft Conversions
tara.taylor@essexandlondonconstruction.com
www.essexandlondonconstruction.com
    ...See More
  • Juliet Docherty
    8 years ago

If you change the floor and paint the cupboard then you are losing a large area of wood in the room which is warm. What are your plans for the floor?

• katherineolivia6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for your ideas, freshairapps and minnie101. We have down lights in the ceiling and led under unit lighting at the moment. I was thinking tiling for the floor? But not sure on the colour, possibly dark to match the worktops colourhappy. If we went for tiles we'd have to consider underfloor heating so all things to think about. I want to modernise it as much as possible which is my reasoning for wanting to change the oak dresser and flooring.

• pannacotta
    8 years ago

I think painting the oak dresser would make it feel more modern, I agree with minnie that a lighter colour (same as the units?) would be less imposing than anything dark.
    Would you consider changing the table and chairs as these are a little dated, losing the table cloth would help too?
    A dark floor could work, decent vinyl tiles or lino are a bit softer to my mind than ceramic tiles (and warmer), esp given you have a granite worktop.

Lovely units.

• katherineolivia6
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks pannacotta & minnie101 I love the industrial pendant lighting I think that could really work thank you! I definitely would change the table and chairs to help modernise I even like those in the picture below! No of course I don't mind the kitchen is approx 15years old! I'll definitely consider painting the dresser to match the units and then could probably afford to darken the floor then. Some great ideas thanks again.
  • PRO
    ParkerRose Interiors
    8 years ago

I think you should change the flooring to a large stone tile. keep the dresser in oak to keep the warmth just change the flooring. If you want to look at some inspiration then Fired Earth do some very nice floor and wall tiles.

• PRO
    Davonport Kitchen & Home
    8 years ago

With white on the kitchen cabinetry you have a variety of options for the oak dresser. Your suggestions of dark blues and greys sound good and are very on trend. For a bit more inspiration we've written two blogs on colours in the kitchen:

Colour schemes: planning your interior décor

Colour trends in kitchen design: what will be the next big thing?

Feel free to have a look through. Hopefully they'll be helpful to you. Regards, Davonport.

• obobble
    8 years ago
    Have a look at Edimax Slaty. Porcelain floor tiles in 3 colour ways and a variety of tile sizes. Works well with UFH, timeless, easy to clean and doesn't show the dirt.
  • laurz84
    8 years ago
    I would also change the floor to tiles and wait to see what the dresser then looks like.

It is nice to have some natural wood colours for the warmth.
  • PRO
    Katy Galbraith, Mosaic Artist
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

i would change the flooring to a blue/grey colour, esp if you have children or dogs (doesn't show up the dirt so much imo). Also change the tiles to bring in a bit of colour - personally, I think that behind your cooker is the perfect spot for a feature mosaic - a riot of flowers or chickens...

• sm09boo
    8 years ago

I love your kitchen and if my dad built me a kitchen like that, it tells me he put in as much love as he possible could and I wouldn't change a thing. I love the dresser and would incorporate it into the kitchen making it a 'two tone' kitchen. I would put light coloured ceramic tiles on the floor, maybe with light beige flecks. Best wishes.

• Anne
    8 years ago

what about slate floor tiles, you could have underfloor heating, I would then do as others suggest and paint your large cabinet to match the units, good luck

• ashleyizz
    8 years ago
    What about using patterned tiles behind the cooker? Instant update and adds an accent colour. Then you can pick out a colour/ colours to have pops of elsewhere .
  • katherineolivia6
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you all, and really great articles thank you Davenport. Seeing other bespoke kitchens modernised I think colour and lighting choices really help. I really love the pendent lighting used over the islands, it's something I hadn't thought of. I do think that changing the wall tiling could make a huge difference so will look into possible options for that. As for colours I have a lot to think about before a decision is made, same as the floor, I think once I get some samples to try and contrast we'll be on our way. Thanks again!
  • Vonn
    8 years ago

Great job. Love it. What a truly great reminder of your dad. Can't wait to see what you do wIth dresser, that is one furniture item I have kitchen envy. Where can I beg, steal or borrow one to satisfy this green eyed monster. Illegal or otherwise, all avenues will be followed.

• PRO
    Stone Age
    8 years ago

We have some great natural stone options for floor and wall coverings and most are compatible with underfloor heating. Take a look at some of the bespoke kitchen projects on our page, it may help provide you with some inspiration on colours.

• PRO
    DesignWorks
    8 years ago

What a fabulous kitchen!

The only changes I'd consider making are:

Replace the dated spot lights near the oak dresser with recessed spot lights - still highlighting the dresser details.

Attempt to remove the fret work in front of the shelf above the plate rack as I agree with minnie101 it makes the kitchen look dated. You could then use this space for storing cook books etc.

As for the cabinetry , you can't go wrong with what you already have! Maybe a lick of paint to freshen.White, ivory, cream etc are still very much on trend. If you do want to add a second colour, again very popular at the moment , I'd use the tones in the worktop as a starting point and paint the island and the large double dresser cupboard to the left of the plate rack in your chosen accent colour. The oak dresser could remain as is and then use oak accessories such as chopping board, bread bin etc. to tie the areas together. Alternatively paint the oak dresser the same colour as the light kitchen cabinetry.

I think if you choose a dark colour for the floor i.e. grey, slate etc
    it will make the room look and feel smaller. I'd consider Karndean
    flooring ( similar products are available ) in perhaps a light grey.

Introduce a pendant light(s) over the island as mentioned in earlier posts - perhaps a retro school or industrial light in chrome, painted or copper as shown here in a recent kitchen project we completed.

Good luck !

Katharine, DesignWorks.

• Wendy Payne
    8 years ago
    Perhaps paint the island and dresser a different colour, like the grey in the attached photo and change the handles too. A rough travertine floor would be nice too if your floor is sturdy enough.
  • amandahunter48
    8 years ago

It's a beautiful kitchen. Lucky you to have a dad who can create it! I wouldn't paint the dresser, as it is so nice and matches the rest of the kitchen units, but I would paint the walls in the dark inky blue instead. I saw on a TV interior design programme last week that it is possible to use a really dark colour on walls so long as you keep the floor a light colour to reflect natural light. So that might also solve your flooring choice too...

• Jonathan
    8 years ago
    Talented Dad.
    I think the feeling of darkness comes from the track spots near the TV. I imagine half of this room is always shaded and that you need a ceiling pendant plus a floor light.
    I like the wood dresser as is but wonder if you could lighten it with wax rather than paint so is remains wooden. Perhaps a light and patterned paper in the wall behind the dresser would help too. Perhaps you could have the dresser door panels glazed with mirror- choose a grey glass or antique mirror as bright glass could be too bling.
    I feel the wood of the floor is too modern for the quality of this kitchen and think you should choose a pale tile or the earlier parquet suggestion.
    I also agree about the kitchen table. Perhaps upholstered chairs around either a wood refectory table or an ornate table painted to match the kitchen. You could also put the table on a rug.
    If you choose to paint any of the kitchen cabinets I would use the blue you like on the tall cabinets near the window, the canopy over the range, the island and something in the breakfast area such as a standard lamp or the table legs.
    Lastly I would consider changing the granite on the island for something lighter.
  • Donna Toner
    8 years ago

Kitchen is beautiful.. Floor would look great tiled. Id probably do the island in the ink blue. Paint dresser to match kitchen..

Id also possibly change the handles and remove the dish rack..

I love this idea where the lower cupboards are dark and wall cupboards are white keeping the brightness... I

• dmathers
    8 years ago

It is extremely hard to pick paint colours. What looks good on one kitchen doesn't on another. I painted mine recently and am not very happy. I did everything at the same time( the units and the walls) and in hindsight should have done it bit by bit. Do the units first and then the walls and then finally the lovely dresser if you want to. Love the sound of the navy lower units with the white.

• Vonn
    8 years ago

Fabulous!! I wouldn't change one thing. Absolutely talented dad. WOW! He sure knows his design, workmanship and dedication. Hats off to Dad. PS Can he fit me in on Saturday please?

• thorntonhall
    8 years ago

Use Light Reflecting paint from Dulux on the walls, pale stone effect flooring, take out the fretwork above the plate rack, your oak dresser will look amazing on a pale floor with pale walls, if you decide to paint it a dark colour improve the lighting in that area. Easy and cost effective.

• janmckx
    8 years ago

Lovely kitchen and great space. as you are asking, I think I would take out the fitted wall cabinets above the sink and surrounding the cooker, just to open up the height of your kitchen, if you still want to change things. You have lots of lighting suggestions above so won't add these. I would change the the extraction unit above the hob too, that would open up your vertical space, and add a few open shelves to display your nicest items.

• cpanm
    8 years ago

You have a lovely kitchen but I do think the flooring spoils the look. Have you considered Modulelo for the flooring. http://www.moduleo.co.uk/luxury-vinyl  We've just put some in our new kitchen which is similar to yours. Very, very pleased. Either stick down vinyl like Karndean/Amtico or 4mm click vinyl, we used the click one as the preparation of the floor isn't quite so particular. Again, lighting on top of the units would get rid of those dark areas close to the ceiling.

• Judi
    8 years ago

Wow, what a lot of comments. I think you have a wonderful kitchen, which has been created with much love & attention to detail. You are asking about painting things in a dark / inky colour - & your Oak unit - but you already have a mid grey wall surrounding the Oak unit - which is why it stands out - take the walls back to an off white & it will blend back in. The lighting in the entire area doesn't seem to be enough for "dark inky colours" - If you really want something like that why not create a picture of what you want on canvas & put it behind glass in the Aga alcove? Your Aga is dark already so it might just make that area a feature. Don't start taking out bits of the kitchen - once you start you will carry on & suddenly your Dad's work will be destroyed, which would be incredibly sad. Your kitchen works well for you - I do agree that the floor could be underfloor heating with tiles on the top - but weigh up the costs before you start. Lighting is everything, so more lights - ceiling not spots -LEDs as many as you can!

From the photographs you provide it looks as if the room leading off from the dining area is already a darkish room, & were you to paint the oak any colour at all I think you would regret it - a slight chip there or a knock here & the paint starts to come away - wood is beautiful, it holds history and it gives such beauty - use that as your palate.. Be gentile on your kitchen - try painting paper and then bluetack it to the wall / unit /island etc. so you get an idea of what it might look like if you painted it - a great source of long paper is to be found in the wallpaper isle - you can buy a roll of lining paper for under £5, get the paint test pots & try out your ideas without damaging the beauty you already have.

• benjy_cudjoe
    8 years ago
    Dark coloured lower cupboards, light coloured wall units. New light coloured composite/natural stone worktops, floors with soft-sheen finish. It would be cheerful and still have your favourite dark colours. Won't matter if the big dresser was all dark then. The available light would reflect about the room. Inside the glass fronted cupboards could pick up a complimentary colour from the floor units. Check out Harvey Jones and the like for paint ideas.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.