em_c

Small dining room with fireplace. Layout problem.

Emma Clare
8 years ago
OK please ignore the chairs...they're from a previous house and I'll replace them with something less intrusive. And the bookcase is probably being moved too... But how should I layout this dining room?

There is a partially blocked up fireplace, which I can either block up completely or perhaps put a cast iron Victorian suite into for decorative purposes. I'm about to embark on a building project to add a kitchen extension: this will see the existing window blocked up and French doors added to that wall. The photos above are taken from the doorway to the living room. The area to the left being essentially a walkway to the kitchen and also housing the door to the stairs.

Day to day we tend to have the table as in the second pic, but with just four chairs. Obviously if I put the fireplace in this won't be an option.

When there are guests (i.e. most weekends) we spin the table round as per the first pic, so we can pop a chair on each end. But the space is a bit narrow and a degree of clambering is involved for anyone sat on the fireplace side. I was thinking of maybe using a bench/benches but I'm concerned guests might find this uncomfortable as they'd have to be backless?

The whole of the downstairs will be replastered, decorated and new flooring put down. But I'm stuck on improving the layout, so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (18)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.