john_walsh67

Need help with open plan kitche/living/dining layout...

John Walsh
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi I'm hoping you all can help.

I've just received planning permission for a new build house (woohoo and gulp!!).

I'm struggling to pick a layout for the open plan Kitchen/Living/Dining space and would really appreciate some help from the Houzz community.

I'm hoping for a contemporary look/feel but not too modern. (if that makes sense??)

All ideas welcome.

Thanks

John

PS each square on the attached image is 1 metre square

• Victoria
    If you did the stairs as per Jonathan's suggestion, I think you could extend master suite to incorporate the balcony...
    John Walsh thanked Victoria
  • Tweeza
    If you have kids, I strongly suggest you have a toilet separate to the family bathroom.
    John Walsh thanked Tweeza

need help designing a open plan kitchen, living, dining area

Hello Jeannette, what a lovely project! I've worked on a number of bungalows and they have their own unique challenges. Making the spaces work for our needs today, and for your own family needs have to be the priorities. I would suggest you appoint an interior designer before thinking in detail about the kitchen. An interior designer will find out how you want to use the space and come up with clever floor plan that is workable and beautiful. This is going to be a really important investment for you. I would love to help - I couldn't advise in any detail without seeing the property and of course, without meeting you. Very best wishes Yasmin.

Need help with designing kitchen/dining/living room open living plan

Thank you for your response. We had plans pretty finalised until we found out that we can keep just that long wall into the large space as it is a load-bearing. There is an opportunity to put a door in though. I am attaching what it looked like with all the walls that we can now remove. We have also been tinkering with ideas which I am adding as well. I added some comments on the plans as well. What we want to have is a dining area with a large table that seats 8-10 people. We want enough space for two people to work and cook in the kitchen. Thus, we were thinking of an island or an L-shape workspace coming out. We'd like to have a utility room to have space for all the cleaning utensils. Washer and Dryer will be upstairs in a separate laundry room. The living room is nothing formal but an area to relax and watch TV. We'd like to have an L-shaped cough in there for a family of four (2 kids under the age of 10).

Layout for open plan living / dining area

Sorry they are there in the 2d floor plan but you are right they are not easy to see! Will try to reload to make clearer.

Need help with dual room(1. open plan kitchen/dining 2. living room)

Hello nehajo, You have an amazing blank canvas so some questions to help: And there are soo many interior styles so some questions to help: What is your style ? if you are not sure then What colour is the sofa and the style. Do you have a photo? What are the other furniture do you have ? Any photos ? Do you like colours pastels or brights ? What are your favourite colours ? Do you have a favourite shirt, skirt, jumper that has a pattern or style to it? photo please. Do you have a picture or photos that have a coloured frame ? What colour? Do you like plants ? or you have any already ? Are their any sentimental objects ? what is it, description ? What is the rug you want to buy is there a pic of it ? Are you thinking of some sort of fire, faux stove, or a TV for a focal point in the room ? Do you want to have a workspace in the area too? Oh do you have kids if yes then storage for toys etc if older storage for games consoles, games ? MMMmmmI think that is it to start. Cheers :)
    Possible 1st floor layout
    John Walsh thanked Jonathan
  • John Walsh
    very valid point tweeza, I've 2 teenage boys both with bad aims!!
  • John Walsh
    Hi jonathandb1972, thanks for the layouts. what size is each square on your drawings?
    Papillon Interiors

Hi John, it looks fantastic, very exciting, I'm doing mine in January and asking for help and ideas is key to getting it right. We always feel that we are making the right decision but I do think we can get quite blinkered. Can I just ask if you need the fireplace? My feeling is you could have a super bank of storage/utilities etc for the kitchen and a breakfast bar. This could go to the right of where the fireplace is now (as you look at the plans). It will create the divide you need between the two areas, super for entertaining and it will give you more storage as you don't have a lot of wall space. Table in front of the large S facing window. It will also give you a little more space in the living area for a super corner sofa, lounge chair, coffee table and TV unit if you don't want to put it on the wall. Access to the utility should be from the kitchen, can you take out the pantry and pop a door into the utility, plant room into utility area (it does seem quite large) downstairs toilet into the wet room, this then opens up the hallway. I think your second plan open hallway is a much better option, this area is one of the most important in the house, 1st impressions, it's a big house, I would want a big open space as I walked in with fabulous lighting, Art and flooring. Gosh, I hope I haven't waffled too much!!! I hope this helped a little.

John Walsh thanked Papillon Interiors
  • John Walsh

Hi Papillon,

Thanks for your ideas. regarding the fireplace, we don't need it but we want it...it's nice to have a real fire on those dark, cold Northern Irish nights.

We need a pantry/Larder of some sort and I'm guessing it is best to have it in the kitchen for all the to-ing and fro-ing during meal preparation. I agree the Plant room is too large and to be honest I will probably end up housing the manifolds etc... in a cupboard in the utility room, so that gives a bit more space to play with, thank you.

Not sure what you mean by "second plan"?

Papillon Interiors

Ahhh have just seen that Jonathandb did a plan with a large hallway which I thought was super. I love fireplaces John but I wonder if its position restricts you from doing other things? However the area is large enough to cater for lots of layouts so I'm sure it can work. Perhaps if you lose the plant room then if you start with a door for the utility at the top (where the pantry is) then the second door into the hallway then a large closed storage area housing the fridge freezer and pantry so that they are hidden. You could an under stairs toilet or cloakroom if space allows and then the hallway has opened right up. I am just concerned that there will not be enough cupboard space in the kitchen so an island will be necessary, will that then interfere with the position of the fire???? It's so hard when it's your own. My kitchen will be long and narrow then opening into a large space which is really difficult to layout and find the best solution.

John Walsh thanked Papillon Interiors
    John Walsh- in answer to your question the squares represent about 60cm- I think this means the footprint is similar to what you have planned- I suspect it is subtly larger because of the larger front and rear gable but I would hope that more rooms would mean the finished property would be worth more.
    I agree with the earlier comment about the hall- in fact this is narrower than you planned but because of the length I think it would make a more imposing first impression and give better access to the bedroom at the rear.
    John Walsh thanked Jonathan
  • John Walsh

Thanks jonathandb1972, I've taken your idea of having a small WC off the Hall, which seems to have freed up some space and makes the Utility room a better shape

I've revised the layout a bit...

• Victoria
    I like that :-)
    There's a large gap between island and kitchen units, will it be that big? Long way to carry pots etc..
  • minnie101

I think that works better. I also like Jonathan's idea, if you move the reception door towards the top left you can easily carve out the annexe with the study becoming kitchen. I also think the dressing room/bed 4 could be a great teenage den if downstairs does become an annexe otherwise open plan living could be hell :)

John Walsh thanked minnie101
  • John Walsh
    Hi Victoria, yes unfortunately I don't know how to move the island in the software I used, otherwise it would be closer to the other units leaving more space in the dining area.
  • Victoria
    Haha, I am similarly challenged on a frequent basis!
  • John Walsh

Guys, I appreciate that this is going off topic however the great layout suggestions above have prompted me to think that the house footprint and layout could be better.

I've attached a satellite image of the site with the sun path super-imposed and an image of the site itself. It's an elevated site with good views towards the South and East, especially from the 1st floor.

I mentioned in a previous post that I would like to be able to cordon off part of the downstairs as an annex, so some of the rooms will be dual purpose. What I would like to squeeze into approx. 200 square metres is;

Exterior

• Parking for 3 cars
    • Storage for bikes etc...

Ground floor

• Hall
    • WC
    • Cloakroom & storage Open plan Kitchen\Living\Dining (with larder preferably on external wall)
    • Utility (to double as kitchen for annex)
    • Double bedroom with en-suite
    • 2nd Living/Diner for annex

First floor

• Landing
    • Master with en-suite & walk-in wardrobe
    • 2 x Double bedrooms (with Jack & Jill bathroom if possible but not essential)
    • Main bathroom
    • Airing cupboard or Hot Press

Thanks

• Victoria
    Where will your plot entrance be?
    The Bespoke Interiors

Hi John Walsh,

Our team would love to help you with your kitchen project.

we work with our clients to create a unique storage solution that will not only look great, but tailor-made to fit the exact dimensions of the property (furniture from floor to celing and wall to wall).

Please subscribe to our newsletter if you are interested in our service and someone from our team will contact you as soon as possible to discuss the project.

http://www.kitchenwardrobe.com/special-offers.html

Regards,

A&S Kitchen Wardrobe team.

OnePlan
    Can I just ask why is it that you aren't using an architect to help with this ? Or is this initial stage just to get ideas together to then take to an architect ?!?

There's a fab architect in Houzz called Colin at 9Yards Architects who's maybe local to you ?!? (Not sure exactly where you are ?! ) might be worth looking him up !
  • John Walsh
    Hi Victoria
    the plot entrance is named by the white X on the satellite image.
    thanks
  • John Walsh
    Hi OnePlan,
    Thanks for the 9yards pointer, I will have a look at them. I'm in Newcastle County Down, Northern Ireland.

I have engaged a local architect who drew up my ideas into our plans and the planning department passed them on 11th Aug 2016 but as I mentioned in earlier posts, this is my "forever home" and I really want to make sure that we are getting the full potential out of the site. I stress that I am NOT a designer and really appreciate the input from the Houzz community. I have found that the community on Houzz have been very supportive and I am reaching out, asking for help & advice before I commit more time & money to a build that I'm a bit unsure about.

jonathandb1972 and others has been brilliant in the past and I was hoping they might have an opinion in terms of layout...

Thanks
    John
  • Victoria
    Thanks John, I see that now, where in the plot will the house be? You must have had to submit plans showing that, can you share them?
  • John Walsh

Hi Victoria, please see image below showing the proposed site plan, however I am prepared to re-submit my planning application if someone comes up with a better layout/floor plan.

Thanks again.

Not sure if this fits but thought it would give you a better back garden and take advantage of the views
    John Walsh thanked Jonathan
  • John Walsh
    Thanks a million jonathandb1972.
    The garage in the alcove is a great space saver. I really appreciate you spending time on this. I'm going to draw out your layout and try to superimpose a scaled version on the site.
  • John Walsh

jonathandb1972, I've used your idea and tweaked it in places to come up with this.

I'd appreciate any feedback from Houzz members as to which layout you think works better? The floorplans at the start of this thread or these latest ones.

Thanks in advance.

I have redrawn my first, slightly scrappy sketch.
    This house would have a 45degrees turn in the roofline and room to extend later and in my humble opinion doesn't have to sit square on the plot and would be more imposing tipped towards the drive entrance.
    John Walsh thanked Jonathan
  • John Walsh
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks once again jonathandb1972.

I've mocked up both versions in Sketchup, the roof on the new one is a mess and I appreciate what you're saying about the 45 degree roof. One of the problems I'm struggling with is a 6.9M ridge height restriction, so even the 45 degree roof would have dormers and I'm not sure how that would look.

I can't see the iTunes clip on my phone but a quick internet search provides lots of pictures for inspiration - try searching European house plans
    More pics
    Also 6.9m ridge height does mean you need careful planning but you can also consider excavating the site down which in turn lowers the roof height- you could also consider swapping the ground and upper floor so that the receptions are higher up to take advantage of views.
    Was just thinking a mono pitch roof could help with the roof height problem
  • John Walsh

Thanks again jonathandb1972, once again a good idea. Here's the floor plan I'm currently toying with...

Here they are superimposed on each other... (Black line Ground floor, Red lines 1st floor)

• John Walsh

Sorry I've just noticed that there are 2 "Hall"s on the Ground floor - bit extravagant I hear you say...no, simple typo. The one on the left should be Living room 2

OnePlan
    Reminds me of this sort of design ...
    Very FLW esque !!
  • John Walsh

Yes Oneplan, very similar. I can't work out from the image where the front door is??

OnePlan
    I think on this one it's through the dining area !
  • Victoria
    I like your new plans very much, a huge improvement. I also agree with Jonathan about orienting it on an angle within the plot.
    Will planners be happy? Will you need a whole new application?
    Broadway Bespoke Kitchens

Why don't you give us a call and we would love to help you design your own perfect space with no obligation.

Design Spec Ltd

Some great ideas flowing here!

With these projects we would generally produce as many as 10 preliminary designs as standard, all focusing on the kitchen and bathroom spaces, they all need to be functional and accessible, without the bathrooms being in your face!

Many options in total, I don't think you will be disappointed with any of these end products so far!

Please send some finished images when you do settle on a design!

New World Designers Ltd.

• John Walsh

I thought I should update you all on the progress we have made since September 2016... We took all your advice on board and decided to get a 2nd architect to look at the site and give us some concept designs. Well they came up with some great ideas and working together we came up with the design below which was re-submitted to Planning in December and we're hoping for a positive decision any day now.

I believe the new design makes much better use of the site with the parking on the North side and private garden enjoying the South.

Please let me know what you think of the new designs and of course if you have any suggestions how to make it even better, I'd be delighted to hear them.

• Tweeza
    I like it. Much better orientation on the property. I also like how the potential future apartment area can be closed off. It feels like a more contemporary comfortable, family home, rather than the classical, symmetrical house design you started with. Would love to see the progress pictures.....
    I also love it.
    You may want to access the ensuite through the dressing room in order to have less doors and therefore more options for the bed position.
  • John Walsh
    Hi jonathandb1972, yes our architect suggested and prefers accessing the ensuite via the changing room too, but I'm not convinced.

It will reduce usable wall space in the changing room and walking through one room to get to another just feels wrong (if you know what I mean!).
    I think lots of homes have an ensuite accessed through a dressing area.
    If you are concerned about wardrobe space you could fit the wardrobes in an L shape and replace the window with a skylight
  • John Walsh
    @jonathandb1972 fair point about the window/roof light. I'll give it some thought. Thanks.
  • Tweeza
    We walk through our changing room to our ensuite- it doesn't feel like walking THROUGH the room because the doors are on the same corner with shelving in an L shape
  • Tweeza
    If you are having built in wardrobes on the kid's rooms, consider putting them on the common wall for sound insulation between them
  • John Walsh
    Good idea about the wardrobes providing sound insulation, thanks tweeza.
  • Victoria
    Much better use of the plot.
    John Walsh thanked Victoria
  • John Walsh

Thanks Victoria