evelyn_zhang53

Open plan kitchen/dining/living layout dilemma

Sunny Day
7 years ago
We are thinking of completely reconfiguring the downstairs layout. The current layout is terrible mainly because the location of the kitchen - it is in the middle of a long narrow house with no windows which means it is very dark. And it is too small for a family size kitchen. Ideally we would like to have a brighter and bigger kitchen open out to a dining area, a family living area with sofa/TV etc and a play area. Any suggestions on how to best achieve it?

One idea we have in mind at the moment is to knock through current dining room and kitchen and then switch their positions. So starting from the front of the house, it will be kitchen, open out to dining area followed by a play area and then living area open out to the garden. The new dining area (current kitchen) may still feel too cramped given its width so maybe we should dismantle the wall incorporating the corridor so that apart from the new kitchen at the front, make everything open plan??

We are really scratching our head and could not make up our mind at all. So any comments or new ideas will be very much appreciated!!!

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.