fenella79

help needed with colours, please!

fenella79
6 years ago

I would like some help with a colour palette for my living room. It's quite a dark room (although perhaps not as dark as the photos!), north facing, approx 2.60 (to chimney breast) by 4.50 (into square bay window). At the moment it's painted a rather cold "white with a hint of blue" (yes, probably from the days when paints were called that!), but I'm happy to make it cosy rather than attempt to lighten it up.

I've just had the fireplace removed and a woodburner installed, and will be having cupboards/shelving fitted in the alcoves. Wall lights will be removed. I will also reinstate a picture rail, to try and bring the ceiling (2.70) down a bit. The door on the radiator wall will be removed and closed up.

The curtains are more of a deep terracotta than comes over in the photo. Sofas will be dark grey. The floor is beige carpet (over horrible tiles - would like to do something about this, but at the moment it's a job too far), covered almost entirely with a dark brown/cream Moroccan rug.

My thoughts are to paint the alcoves a dark colour, with a lighter shade for the chimney breast and other walls, and lighter still for ceiling and above picture rail. I've been looking at shades of grey or (as, with the furniture, that might be just too much grey) brown.

Any advice from you colour boffins very welcome!

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.