rhianhiles

Carpet catastrophe?!

Ree H
6 years ago
Hi there clever houzzers.

Having to choose carpets for the stair runner (dark grey one, will have a very dark trim) and the 3 bedrooms (beigy colour) on a budget. Walls will be in the hall a very light grey (polished pebble) and a greige in the bedrooms (perfectly taupe).

Do they go? Does it matter as they are different spaces? You can see the first bedroom there at the top of the stairs.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments (13)

• Jonathan
    6 years ago
    I think you get a better feeling of continuity (therefore the place feels bigger) if you have similar throughout.
    Therefore you need to decide on what is important- If it is a rental house you need the hardest wearing. If it is your home you should choose what you like. If it is for selling you should get a better quality carpet for the stairs (abandon the runner idea if necessary for budget) as your hallway makes a first impression.
  • minnie101
    6 years ago

I think it would better if they are tonally the same. It's hard to tell as you're obviously doing work (plus photos are often inaccurate!) but the hall looks a little dark so the dark grey runner could suck more light out? Have you also tried the polished pebble as it's quite cool with a blue undertone? Just walnut should complement the perfectly taupe but they both have a purple/pink undertone which may show more if either of the rooms are west facing

• Ree H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks guys. Jonathan- it's my home. I like the warm colours for the (kids and spare) rooms, all north east facing, it's lovely and warm in the morning. But then I didn't want these 'less fashionable' colours in the hall when u first come in - hence the grey and yes the 'cool' walls. It's enough to drive me insane!
    But I think u are right I need to decide on similar tones or it will feel all a bit disjointed. Thanks for you help :)
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 years ago

I would always go for colours that are right for the space and aspect regardless of what is fashionable. Nothing worse than fashionable blue/grey in a cool dingy room. There are lots of neutrals that are hovering between warm and cool and work in low light areas, I think Slipper Satin is one of these. I would only choose the carpet when the painting is done as it's all a bit stressful otherwise.

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    6 years ago

I agree with the above comments. I would always work with continuity through the space although some different shades and variations adds interest and personality. I would go for the warmer colour pallet personally.

You could try putting all your ideas and materials onto a mood board to give you a better sense of the space and how all the colours and fabrics interact with one another. By moving this board from room to room you will get to see how it changes with the lighting in each room and what works best :)

• Ree H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I can see why you need professionals... this is how I've spent my last week!

I think you are right, I will paint the walls- probably continuing the warmer colour in the dark stairwell , then choose a carpet.

Thanks again for your help

Rhian
  • Ree H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Any better? The wall (perfectly taupe) then the carpet, then the stair carpet. In the hall way we've gone for strong white , polished pebble too cold as previously suggested :)
  • PRO
    SHPinteriors
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Dee H, only just noticed this thread. We are a carpet & flooring company and I agree whole heartedly with the comments above. I would, however, have added a twist - you can get some amazing striped carpets nowadays which would have had greys and beiges in them with complimenting single colour carpets - you could have had a striped runner up the stairs and landing and then flowed straight into a beige for the bedrooms - this would have maintained your flow but giving your differentiation. Your floors look amazing but I just wanted to add a little proviso. Best wishes, Helen - SP Carpets & Flooring, Oxfordshire

• Karen Household
    5 years ago

Think what you have done looks good and your choices are timeless. Striped carpets have been fashionable but, in my view, look cheap and will, of course, pass out of fashion.

• PRO
    Alternative Flooring
    5 years ago

What a great result! Have read through all the comments and pleased to see you took the advice given and went with the feeling of continuity and flow. The grey looks absolutely on trend too so great choice!

• tezz4
    5 years ago

Perfect choice! I would avoid busy stairway carpet patterns at all cost. You can add some texture and design elsewhere now that you are sorted on the basics.

• Sonia
    5 years ago

That looks lovely. Good choice. By the way I have a stripe carpet from Crucial Trading, and cheap it wasn’t!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.