tdharvey86

Which Range Cooker?

Charlie Spaniel
Hey all. I know it's been discussed a few times on here (and elsewhere) but I'm still confused as exactly which range cooker to go for. I'm a keen home cook and prepared to spend a little bit of money on one, but unfortunately don't have an unlimited budget. And yes, I know that integrated ovens are generally much better value for money but our kitchen suits a range and I'm happy enough with one.

We're looking for 110 in size (or 120 is doable) and our budget is about £2.5k for the time being, which has initially led us down the path of a higher end Rangemaster - I like the Nexus for its stainless steel handles - but I'm not entirely won over by its construction and wondering whether I should venture into the low end of some of the slightly more "premium" brands.

This has led me to consider the Falcon Continental 1092 - I know it's still part of the Aga-Rangemaster brand and there's quite a lot of crossover, but from what I've read the Falcons are superior under the skin. Disappointed that it (and indeed all Falcon models) possess plastic handles and still feels a bit wobbly in places, but it seems to get the thumbs up by people in the industry. I also quite like some of the Britannias (would love a Delphi 120, but it's pricey). Have also considered Bertazzoni, Mercury and ILVE. Things like Everhot, Aga, Lacanche, Esse all look wonderful but they're too expensive for right now and I don't know what my "forever house" of the future might look like.

Does anyone have any experience / opinions on the matter? I'm not too fussed about gimmicky things like rotisserie function or even having a timer (which the Falcon doesn't have) - I just want a solid oven that's going to last and cooks well. Also probably leaning towards a dual fuel as opposed to induction, mainly for the aesthetics. Something that's fairly easy to clean would be a bonus (I know induction would be better for that) and I like that the Falcon has gloss enamelled pan stands that will wipe / dishwasher clean better than rough cast iron.

Thanks!