Help, my kitchen feels unfinished...
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (25)
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
I'm lost! Please help with my kitchen.
Comments (544)Hello Amanda, : )) Do you mean in the kitchen? Yes a nice idea. I like flat plate too, but really plain. Well the best way to describe how I feel about certain alterations is to tell you about someone I knew who "did up" her flat to such a degree that she literally took away all that was characterful about it.. Sometimes it's best to leave things as their patina develops over time and results in something quite special. Restoration is one thing but you can also restore the life out of something and thus diminish in certain contexts the value- and so it's good to know when to stop.. So yes, I'm firmly in the camp suggesting leave them, but of course it's entirely your choice. : ))...See MoreAdvice to make my cold, plain, open plan space feel warm and inviting!
Comments (32)Hi Catherine, You have a lovely open plan kitchen and lounge, but as you say, it lacks punch and interest. Since you're stuck with the stainless steel kitchen for the time being, you need to work with it and have some fun. A symmetrical arrangement of stainless steel shelves either side of the splash back for the cooker would allow you to put up interesting bottles, plants, china, etc. What about painting this wall a bright colour like Seville Orange from Crown and the other walls in natural white. You could also paint the base of the island in the Seville Orange. In the seating area, use the orange colour and some others like plum or blue-grey in fabric patterns, have cushions made up for the seating area. Also an area rug large enough for the front feet of your sofas and the coffee table to sit on with colour would brighten up this area. It's unfortunate that the TV is blocking a French window. Can it be moved somewhere else, perhaps the bay if the bottom shutters are never opened? Instead of half of the bay window having plantation shutters, I would recommend a second upper row, which could be folded back or, if you don't need coverage for privacy on the upper windows, have an interesting, colourful valance. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=valance+and+plantation+shutters+for+a+bay+window&biw=1516&bih=839&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIzdu7xO-FyAIVh0gUCh1aigXI&dpr=0.95#tbm=isch&q=valance++for+a+bay+window&imgrc=SjLxqYYGnQmhlM%3A...See MoreNeed help for my kitchen
Comments (19)I love metro tiles. Personally I think that white grout in a kitchen can easily discolour and of course next to white tiles you will notice this. Since your cabinets are a crisp white (I think) then I might tone down the green- perhaps Farrow and Ball churlish green or olive. I think this will look great on all the walls. The only think you will next need will be pattern- perhaps choose a rug or curtains or even a nice wallpaper in inexpensive frames....See MoreNeed help with my unfinished bedroom!
Comments (16)Hello Joelle, I see your'e being given some great advise and ideas!! If you can't find any suitable vintage wardrobes have you considered having fitted wardrobes - painted the same colour as the pale grey walls so they blend into the background - with small discrete knobs or no knobs/handles (a push opener). Long grey curtains either dark or light I think would look great and very hotel chic. When looking for suitable material don't forget to take a sample of your wallpaper with you to check which colours work best and then ask for samples of the material to take home to check at different times of day ad evening to see which looks best in different lights. I'd consider having the long curtains as 'dress' curtain with tie backs and fit either a roman or roller blind - for privacy, warmth and to keep the room as light as possible. Moving the sideboard to opposite the bed I agree is the best place and becomes the focal point of the room - also great to see when you're actually lying in bed. You could look on e-bay for a large vintage 1950's mirror perhaps frame less with beveled edge to hang above. The long mirror I'd lean on the wall left of the window. I love your grey head board. To add luxury I'd go for a white duvet and pillow cases and use the colours in the wallpaper for throw(s) and cushions. Again don't forget to always have a sample of wallpaper and curtain material with you when shopping for these. I really like the photo of the mid century bedside table you've posted - very much in keeping with your theme and would also look to buy a ceiling light and table lamps again from that period - perhaps on e-bay? Good luck and enjoy your project! Katharine, DesignWorks....See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
















Carolina