joelle_fry44

Need help with my unfinished bedroom!

Joelle Fry
8 years ago

I'm currently in the process of renovating my bedroom, which is not a particularly large space. As you can see from the photos, the room is half complete with a jumble of old curtains and furniture which will be going. I've had the chimney breast wall papered with a colourful print (which I love). I've also bought a new bed, mid-century sideboard and chair which will stay.

However, I've hit a bit of a wall now - nothing seems to fit together well! If anyone can suggest new lighting/ curtains/ wall prints/ accessories to complement my crazy wallpaper I'd be very grateful! I was thinking maybe some copper touches e.g. with some new lights? I want a warm, cosy and boutique hotel feel, with both modern and vintage touches.

The light orange wood wardrobe is going - thinking of getting some fitted wardrobes sprayed the same warm grey as the other walls to the wall opposite the window where the door opening is? I also think the black desk really darkens the room, which doesn't get a great deal of light anyway. I'd love to hear your thoughts, any advice and see similar projects if you have any :) The whole space needs bringing together properly!

Thanks!

Comments (16)

• Joelle Fry
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi AJ Interior,

Thank you so much for your comments, I definitely agree with moving the sideboard to a more central position as it does feel too tucked away in the corner - I want it to stand out because its such a great piece! I'm definitely going to look into getting something like the mid century glass piece you posted - that looks perfect.

Good idea also with the two side tables giving a 'hotel' look - what do you think of something like this side table?

Mid-Century Bedside Table · More Info

I'm just worried about the room feeling too dark - I definitely want to keep it quite calm and light. The bed linen in the photographs I posted will be changed as well to something more complementary - then I'll layer it up with bedspreads, pillows and throws as you suggested!

Thanks again for your insight!

• Related Discussions

Need help with my bedroom lighting

Q

Comments (2)
    Hang a hook central to where you want the light, extend the wire so that you can move the pendant to where you want it.
    ...See More

Need help with my Bedroom storage

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi matadorglamour, We specialize in designing & making bespoke furniture. Please drop us an e-mail if you would like to receive a free design . Kind Regards, A&S Kitchen Wardrobe www.kitchenwardrobe.com kitchen-wardrobe@o2.pl
    ...See More

need help with my bedroom- have too many ideas!!

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi. What kind of budget do you have? Do you have any furniture at all or a carpet? I think if you're going for a dark scheme it does tend to automatically look expensive which helps. I'd get yourself on eBay. Have only had a quick look but you can pick up a french bed cheaply (you can buy a divan base in ikea) and I'd match with marble top cabinets. The bed can be painted if need be. I might look at second hand or antique shops for a chair that you can re-cover yourself. eBay is also good for cushions in designer/high street fabrics if you plough through. Maybe try TK Max for bedding, lights etc. Sainsbury's sometime do some good accessories too. Ikea also sell some velvet curtains which may be worth looking at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-French-Louis-XV-Style-Carved-Solid-Wood-Double-Bed-Frame-/201791001841?hash=item2efbae54f1:g:yoEAAOSwImRYe49v http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOUIS-XV-STYLE-FRENCH-MAHOGANY-PAIR-OF-MARBLE-TOPPED-BEDSIDE-CABINETS-001377-/361860310374?hash=item54408e2566:g:kiQAAOSwJ7RYW-Gl
    ...See More

Need interiors help for my Bedroom

Q

Comments (2)
    Would be great to see some pictures. We have lots of lovely stuff for the bed, but hard to suggest something without seeing what bed you have, other furniture?
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Joelle,

Most welcome... Re the dark... I think it would look fantastic but of course it's entirely how you see it... I think people are frightened of using dark colours as they think it will limit the room and bring the light down to make it dark.

So then I'd keep to my other suggestion which was the light grey curtains and light grey shades for the lighting.. That way you will have something altogether more serene... For mid century heaven go to Crystal Palace... There is a great deal to be found.. but yes something like that or another like you have already... : ))

Joelle Fry thanked Amber Jeavons Ltd
  • Joelle Fry
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi AJ Interior,

Thanks for the suggestion of Crystal Palace - I was thinking of heading there to see what I could find. I managed to find the sideboard and chair on eBay!

Thanks again for all your help! :)

• Amelie Wilson
    8 years ago

Hello Joelle,

Gosh, what a great choice of wallpaper, I can really see what you're trying to achieve here.

I definitely think that getting rid of the existing light brown / orange wardrobe is a good idea. You mentioned potentially having built in wardrobes, have you considered hunting around eBay or a vintage shop for a similar mid century wardrobe? Whilst there are many practicalities associated with the grey built in wardrobes, I feel that in order to achieve the boutique hotel feel you desire, it may be more appropriate to have some form of uniformity in your choice of furniture. As the sideboard you have already chosen is so exquisite, it would be a shame to spoil the atmosphere it creates with such a modern style wardrobe.

In terms of the current light fitting, I feel that it is far too modern for the style that you are seeking. Those little lampshade fairy lights are divine. You could potentially have a larger version of one of those as a lampshade? The effect of the lampshade will create the cosy feel that you desire as opposed to the spotlights currently in place.

you mentioned that the room doesn't get much sunlight. Have you given much thought in terms of curtains? I understand that the curtains in the photo are from before. Are you thinking of having long or short curtains? I feel that long dark grey curtains would contribute to attaining that boutique cosy feel that you have expressed desire for but they may further restrict sunlight into the room. Gosh, so many factors to consider.

Overall I really love what you've done with the room thus far and am intruigued to see the further decisions you make towards achieving the final outcome!

Best of luck

Joelle Fry thanked Amelie Wilson
  • Joelle Fry
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Amelie,

Thank you so much for your thoughts on my room. I've looked around for a wardrobe of similar style to the sideboard, but haven't managed to find anything I'm keen on! I was hoping some neutral fitted wardrobes might make the sideboard become more of a focal point in the room - perhaps some in this style:

South London Victorian Home · More Info

Fitted made to measure Wardrobes · More Info

I want to retain that mid-century feel and I completely agree - anything too modern would look out of place!

Thank you for your comment about the fairy lights - I love them too. My boyfriend's mum actually made those for me as a Christmas gift this year! They've got a little bit of coral pink in the pattern which looks nice against the grey walls. I'm not sure where I might find a large version for the ceiling light - the fairy lights are made out of little plastic cups amazingly! Hmmm... maybe I can try and hint to her next time I see her and see what she can do!

With regards to the curtains, both you and AJ Interiors have suggested long dark curtains, you might be persuading me! I was initially thinking of some very light grey shorter length curtains as I didn't want to restrict heat in the room by covering the radiator. But long curtains would definitely be more in the hotel style and add some interest... I'll look into some fabrics and report back! Lots to think about.

I'm so grateful for all your efforts in helping me. I'll be posting some 'Before and After' pictures on Houzz so you can see how I get on with it all. Thanks again :)

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Joelle,

Most welcome and yes eBay is a good idea! I do think you'll be able to find a wardrobe to suit which would further compliment or have something that is hidden with sliding doors perhaps.. Do post more pics when you have them. :))

Joelle Fry thanked Amber Jeavons Ltd
  • Joelle Fry
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I shall have a search around and see what I can find! I'll update you on my progress with some pictures :) Thanks again.

• PRO
    DesignWorks
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Joelle,

I see your'e being given some great advise and ideas!!

If you can't find any suitable vintage wardrobes have you considered having fitted wardrobes - painted the same colour as the pale grey walls so they blend into the background - with small discrete knobs or no knobs/handles (a push opener).

Long grey curtains either dark or light I think would look great and very hotel chic. When looking for suitable material don't forget to take a sample of your wallpaper with you to check which colours work best and then ask for samples of the material to take home to check at different times of day ad evening to see which looks best in different lights.

I'd consider having the long curtains as 'dress' curtain with tie backs and fit either a roman or roller blind - for privacy, warmth and to keep the room as light as possible.

Moving the sideboard to opposite the bed I agree is the best place and becomes the focal point of the room - also great to see when you're actually lying in bed. You could look on e-bay for a large vintage 1950's mirror perhaps frame less with beveled edge to hang above.

The long mirror I'd lean on the wall left of the window.

I love your grey head board. To add luxury I'd go for a white duvet and pillow cases and use the colours in the wallpaper for throw(s) and cushions. Again don't forget to always have a sample of wallpaper and curtain material with you when shopping for these.

I really like the photo of the mid century bedside table you've posted - very much in keeping with your theme and would also look to buy a ceiling light and table lamps again from that period - perhaps on e-bay?

Good luck and enjoy your project!

Katharine, DesignWorks.

Joelle Fry thanked DesignWorks
  • Joelle Fry
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Katharine,

Thank you so much for your comments, they're greatly appreciated.

I'm going to have a look at the option of fitted cupboards and perhaps speak with some local carpenters/ joiners to get a quote. I agree that having some unobtrusive wardrobes to match the other walls would let the other furniture stand out more.

I think I have definitely been swayed by your suggestions for dress curtains. I prefer blackout blinds/curtains as I am prone to lie ins at the weekends...! So a blind as well as dress curtains would probably suit me well. Thank you for your tip about samples as well, I have a sample of the wallpaper which I'm going to take with me when I go shopping this weekend.

Great suggestion about the plain white and layering up with colours picked out from the wallpaper! Nothing better than gorgeous soft white sheets. In terms of throws, cushions etc I'm tempted by the greens of the leaves but equally like the coral, orange and lime/yellow of the butterfly! The trouble of a wild multicoloured wallpaper is picking out the right colours to complement it ... I'd be so grateful for any opinions on what would look best with the rest of the room :)

• PRO
    DesignWorks
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Joelle,

Thank you for your feedback - great to know I've been of some help.

In terms of choosing colours when I looked at your wallpaper I too was immediately drawn to the beautiful green (very 50's I thought)

I'd limit to no more than 3 colours if possible and don't forget about the different textures - the fluffy grey cushion you already of have, linen, silk wool etc.

I'd start with first looking to find a throw that you like for the bottom of your bed and depending on what you find - green, coral or orange? You can look to use this colour in some of the cushions. The pale yellow would be a good colour choice to use for 1 or 2 cushions as it would work well with the white bedding and look good against the grey. See what you can find and then take it from there.

Happy shopping!

Katharine

Joelle Fry thanked DesignWorks
  • Joanna Biddolph
    8 years ago

I think AJ Interiors is spot on with placement - that gorgeous sideboard needs to be exactly opposite the bed. I would also dress it up a bit to make it more feminine - add a vase with flowers and some girly bits and pieces in colours that complement the wall paper; some tall, some shorter and just be prepared to dust them regularly. Put away cosmetic bags - they aren't adding anything other than an explanation of what you use the sideboard for; classier accessories would do that better. What about a silver and dressing table set or tray?

I would get rid of anything black - it's too harsh for the room given the colours of the wallpaper. A prettier mirror should be in the corner next to the window - so you have some light falling on your when looking at your reflection (though bear in mind that your left side will be darker than your right side). I'd have a mirror that hangs on the wall rather than a freestanding one. It needs to bring in a bit of glamour.

And I'd add a rug, again in colours complementing the wallpaper, to bring it all together. And a new duvet cover!

The others' tips on lighting and furniture are great. If manage to do all this you'll have a really WOW factor bedroom!

Joelle Fry thanked Joanna Biddolph
  • Joelle Fry
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Brilliant advice thank you Joanna, I'm feeling a lot more positive about it than I was before I posted this! Now to hunt for some accessories and sell the black desk... Pictures of the room to follow when some progress is made! Thanks all :)

• PRO
    Furnish Home Buddy
    7 years ago

First thing I'd recommend to change the bedding and as for curtains I think something matching pineapples on the wallpaper and long. so that be copper ish exactly as you said. Bedding can be of similar tone to the curtains. I think you have enough of grey in your room already and plus copper ish would match with wooden chair you have. Making more grey would require to change the chair to black. Depends if you want cold or warm tone to your room and sounds like you prefer warmer rather than colder.

• A B
    7 years ago

Is there an after photo? I'd love to see what you did

• PRO
    Feature Radiators
    7 years ago

As radiator experts, we would agree that it is definitely a bad idea to cover the radiators with curtains, as it will encourage the heat to escape out of the window, and also if you get a lovely radiator, you wouldn't be able to see it! Dress curtains with a blind are an excellent idea. I think your particular room would really suit a classic column style radiator as pictured.

Radiators in rural settings · More Info

Radiators in industrial spaces · More Info

Radiators in shabby chic spaces · More Info

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.