clara241

Building/Design process....confused!

clara241
6 years ago

Hi, I'm looking to do some work to change the layout of a property which I've just bought which will involve removing some structural walls and building internal walls elsewhere. I'd also like to employ an interior designer to help me get the spacial planning/colours etc right in what will be open plan spaces. I am, however, completely confused as to which process I should follow. I have a builder in mind, but I'm not sure who comes first, the architect, the builder or the interior designer? does the interior designer help plan the space first and then the architect draw up the plans? Do I need an architect or can the builder work off the interior designer's plans? Do I need planning permission for internal changes when removing structural walls? Do I need a structural expert to make sure that the structural walls actually can be removed? I know each project if different, but is anyone able the shed some light on this for me? Thanks.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Onyx Interiors London
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Clara,

Hope all is well.

We at Gage offer an affordable interior design service for people like yourself who need the help of an experienced interior designer.

Please check out my profile and website for more information.

Hope we can help,

Gage Interiors London Ltd.

• PRO
    Vesta Design
    6 years ago

Hi Clara,

If you use an architectural interior designer, you may not even need an architect for this type of project as they can advise on space planning and moving walls etc and will work with a structural engineer to check regarding anything structural. This approach would save you money and make for a more streamlined process.

You don't need planning permission for internal changes but, if your property is listed, you may need listed buildings consent.

Hope this is helpful?

If you would like any further information, please have a look at our profile and feel free to e-mail me kate@vestadesign.co.uk.

Best wishes,

Kate

clara241 thanked Vesta Design
  • clara241
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello Kate, thanks for your advice. That is really useful and something which I hadn’t considered.

• PRO
    Vesta Design
    6 years ago

You’re welcome, Clara!

• PRO
    OnePlan
    6 years ago
    Booking people ahead of schedule helps too - ie don’t expect good trades to be available at the drop of a hat - most are booked up weeks ( or even months ) ahead !
    Sounds like you need a Concept Planner, or interior Designer who does space planning, and a Structural Engineer - lots of our clients give their builders the drawings a copy of what we produce, to show them what they want the finished project to look like ... click on my name or icon to see past projects on our Houzz Pro Page to see what I mean !
    clara241 thanked OnePlan
  • clara241
    Original Author
    6 years ago

OnePlan thank you, that is really useful.

• PRO
    BetterSpace: The Floor Plan Experts
    6 years ago

Hi Clara, you will definitely need planning permission to do any building work be it minor alterations or major renovations. Depending on the position and conditions of the site and the structural changes you plan on making you might need a structural engineers approval on the plans. However this is wholly depending on the extent of the structural changes so I will need a little more information.

As for the planning stages, your builder will need a plan from which to quote and build so you could have him on stand by so that he knows to allow for your work in his diary while the plans are being drawn up. If you use a qualified interior designer they can also draw plans to a certain size and most architects also do interior design as a add on to their service so it is completely up to you and your preferences, you could make use of one or both.

Your project stages would be as follows:

1- Meeting with designer / architect to discuss your needs, the builder can be present here.

2- They will present you with a concept design based on this meeting

3- Once the concept has been approved they will prepare a set of plans for planning permission and construction.

4- Plans submission for approval and issue to the builder for costing as well as the engineer if needed.

5- Upon approval of the plans site work can commence and the designer / architect will do periodic site visits to ensure all work gets carried out to plan. (This service is normally optional so you could choose to manage the building work yourself)

6- Prior to final hand over the designer will come in and prepare a snag list to eliminate any minor mistakes (If you manage the building work yourself this won't be done by the architect or designer)

7- Completion and move in.

As confusing as the whole process is, I hope I've shed some light on your questions.
    If you need any further advice - check out the BetterSpace site (betterspace.co) - we'd love to assist you further with your project.

clara241 thanked BetterSpace: The Floor Plan Experts
  • clara241
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello BetterSpace. Thank you for posting such a comprehensive response. That has made the process so much more clear. I will have a look at your website. Do you operate outside the London area on and e-design basis?

• PRO
    SUN STUDIO.London - Glassworks and Prints
    6 years ago

Hello Clara,

We are builders (including architect) and material manufacturer. We have a wide offer of any kind of building/designing services. End-to-end management is our specialty.

We have our own suppliers, so 20-30% price difference is out-competing. If you are interested, let me guide you through our offer tomorrow's afternoon by phone.

Have a good day,

Erwin (Sunstudio)

• PRO
    Stephen Ryan Design and Decoration
    6 years ago

Hi Clara,

I would suggest that you start with an interior designer and have it 'design led'

The designer will produce a specific layout plan for your furniture, followed by an electrical plan for your important lighting layouts. These layouts will help and dictate the correct position for semi or full wall openings/removal.

A structural engineer is requisite, and planning if your house is listed.

You may not need an architect but your designer can advise on this if the reorganisation is anything other than internal.

clara241 thanked Stephen Ryan Design and Decoration
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.