Help with layout for my new home
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (13)
Related Discussions
Need help with my Layout for my new side and rear extension
Comments (14)Hi Imran, Very exciting to be starting your project! I'm not going to make any suggestions on how to layout your space as I'm not an expert but having just gone through a very similar process I thought a few words of advice might be helpful? We were looking at remodelling the downstairs of our house and got structural engineers and architects involved but to be honest it was our designer who was the most help and has stopped us making a couple of silly and costly mistakes with space planning (nothing to do with colours, paint choices or curtains!!!) I would highly recommend working with someone who can do some 3D models and renders of the proposed space for you, so you can see how it will all look. Our designer was amazing and we ended up with 4 or 5 different computer generated 3D images (and YouTube videos!!!) of how the space would look as you walked around it. Not only was it amazingly helpful but she also saved us a lot of money on structural work by pointing out things that would have been costly and not really add anything to the space. I've attached a couple of pics of our space and then the 3D images she did for us. Structural work and remodelling is expensive and our designer (Gina from Create Perfect) was a fraction of what we're spending on the house (far less than I would have expected) and has been worth her weight in gold for getting the space right! I was also surprised by the amount of money we saved using her trade discounts for things like worktops, appliances, carpeting and lighting etc) We're in the middle of building work right now, so I can't post any finished pics but my advice would definitely be to spend a little bit of money now and make sure you get it right as the wrong decisions with walls and structures are mistakes you can't change without a lot more time and money! Good luck whatever you do- it's all very exciting!!!...See MoreNew house has long living room, need help with layout and design.
Comments (10)Hello! Wow! Thank you very much for your advice. So, there is a radiator on the right hand wall. That is where current owners put their tv. Not sure it will fit, will measure up soon hopefully. The TV could go on a smaller unit to be honest, and will make sure radiator is turned down! Just worried that there isn't enough room for a corner sofa there with the door to the hallway..(see photos on rightmove) I LOVE the idea of large mirrors either side of fireplace. Pinching that! ;) My current living room is decorated in shades of greys and lots of gold. Thinking of going navy and gold but not too sure. Sofa colours argh! Huge thanks I'm very grateful. Katie...See MoreNew Home Living Room Layout Help
Comments (5)I hope you haven't stuck your plinths down yet, as the layout could work really well with the tv under the stairs, together with something like a desk setup, dog bed under it. Sofa with ottoman to get your feet up, imagine a small sidetable next to it (bottom right), perhaps a bookcase and/or plants in the top right corner. Yes, you would face the staircase, but there wouldn't be any issue with the traffic line towards the stairs....See MoreHelping with the floor plan of my new house...
Comments (10)I agree with the other comments that you need to live in the house for a while but what I would consider is: -initially use Bed3 and Bed4 as your individual WFH spaces -the diagonal wall in the kitchen is obviously there for a reason so you presumable have to live with that. When you knock through into the dining room you could square off that space and use it as your utility room, although I agree with person who suggested using it as your dining space until you do any works. -are the dark "wall" areas in the kitchen load bearing because they do take up a lot of space. -Living room, maybe not initially but I'd consider putting pocket doors in between the hall and LR and dining room so you can close off the space when you want to but open for entertaining. That also might give you some extra wall space for furniture in the LR. -I'd also look into moving your stairs to see if you could get a more visually generous entry space, all those design programmes talk about a view through from front door to back of the house. You might be able to gain the space to have an ensuite for Bed1. -An extension out the back would be great although you have to keep in mind the size of garden you would have left. -Bed3 - although technically you have the space for a small double bed you have the chimney breast, on the plan, from the LR fire which cuts down your options. Good Luck....See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago







Jonathan