kitchen design ideas feedback

lisa colclough
14 July, 2019

Hi all

looking for some feedback and advice on kitchen design! see attached drawing from architect. its a new build extension on Tudor house. we've changed the design a couple of times and because of the large amount of glass in the new extension kitchen, it limits our kitchen space

. in hindsight, might not have gone for this design but with a listed building its taken ages to get agreement and we are ready to start the build so sure we can work it out. Query is - is the sink and dishwasher in this design too far from the fridge? would the sink be better in the island with the dishwasher wither next to the fridge or in the island? any other thoughts, observations etc would be great! we are re-purposing our existing dressers/cupbopards hence the sizing as they are lovely oak - and we have a range coming 1.2m but apart from that we are pretty flexible. Not sure about the bench on the island either - thought this would be nice addition and good storage for appliances Thanks in advance!

• Carolina

Hi,

some dimensions and words on there are a bit difficult to read. But I'm not sure it is the best kitchen layout ever.

lisa colclough thanked Carolina
  • T Gray

As this is a significant purchase and getting it wrong would be expensive to correct, may I suggest you use a designer like Oneplan who posts on Houzz. There are so many recommendations for her that I will be using her when I gut my kitchen.

lisa colclough thanked T Gray
  • lisa colclough

I know exactly.. that’s why asking for feedback as we are restricted by the wall design. I’ll try get a sharper picture sorted

• J

hi, just a few questions. What's happening with the wall of windows. Are they full height from floor? Do you need that sofa? And had the sofa got a plan? For example it's for TV viewing etc.
    Do you have a nice aspect you want to make the most of?
    The bench has a interesting angle, is that how it should look?
    And I'd love your fridge into the main kitchen run. Looks a little like it's been placed on the naughty corner there :D

• J

*move not love..

• lisa colclough

Thank you . Yes fridge needs to be taken out of the naughty corner I think.. wondering if put it in top left hand corner, move cooker down and sink in island which longer but parallel to main units? Smaller table . Bench is just my rubbish drawing.. yes it’s beautiful country garden which is why all the wi died and want to look out as rest of cottage very little light and views out. Sofa for reading and maybe small tv for summer nights . We have proper cottage living room with wood burner too but it’s dark but cosy

• lisa colclough

Yes the wall of windows at the end is full height and up to the pitched roof so will be very open

• lisa colclough

I’m also wondering whether put sink in island near the cooker end with either fridge as it is or nearer in the opposite corner nearer cooker. Increase size island And have units where the fridge is..

• Gabby

I definitely think move the fridge out of the naughty corner...

Depending on the space in that corner or amount of storage you have, you could either put in like a pantry/breakfast cupboard? Or store stuff you use less frequently there?

Alternatively just have it as extra floor space with a nice large indoor plant or something?

What’s the old kitchen going to be? Can you put any of the functions in there (for instance make a snug so you don’t need a sofa in the kitchen.
    I don’t know how big the whole house is but I can’t image your plan has more kitchen space than your future plan so I would be thinking about what you need the room to do most. I think I would want an impressive kitchen dining space with a sink on the island freeing up space either side of the range for preparation

lisa colclough thanked Jonathan

Like this?

lisa colclough thanked Jonathan
  • lisa colclough

thanks for helpful comments. The existing kitchen is smaller but no views hence one of the main reasons is bringing in light and views of lovely country garden into the kitchen space. we were hoping to fit it all in, but don't think we can - imagining being able to relax in sofa with book looking out. existing kitchen is quite dark - although more light will be let in after the build. think I'm with you on the island and sink and make the island a bit bigger if not having settee..or maybe can get a small comfy chair somewhere in there :-) the old kitchen is smaller and we will have the washing machine in here still - as well as the dog, desk , musical instruments and books/games for my youngest. but will be room for storage too of less used kitchen. stuff.. the existing living room is a snug really as quite dark with log burner - hence the longing for a nice light view on a summers day.. :-)

• lisa colclough

thanks for that Jonathon - will have a think . !

• lisa colclough

ok hope this picture is clearer... shows the footprint of the building at least. Was the first attempt at kitchen plan which we revised as all a bit /lot squashed up....

I think I would consider making the WC larger and putting your noisy washing machine in there.
    Personally I think taking down your current extension will make the original living room feel much lighter.
    I would consider if rarely needed storage should be in the middle room as that could otherwise be a little underused in which case the old kitchen can read as a proper reception room for the family. It would be good for the former kitchen to have a cohesive look since it will be on show from the front door.

• lisa colclough
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Great thank you . Agree good ideas
  • Carolina

I wonder if you could do something like this. It will keep the oven and cooker out of the general walkway into the room. Only downside is that to get to the sink, you'll have to cross that walkway, but at the moment I can't think of another option. I'm not a kitchen designer, so I'd advise you to consult a professional kitchen designer, but I'll have another think about it too.

• lisa colclough
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Thank you! Looks good... only thing is it’s a range cooker like an aga.. where would the fridge be?
  • Carolina

Fridge would be in the tall cabinets

• Carolina

If it's a range cooker, perhaps this is an option. Fridge in tall cabinet again, in top right corner this time. Island could be less deep than this. This is a 120 cm island.

OnePlan

Thanks for the mention T Gray ! I do believe I sent out a quotation for this project yesterday...

Lisa - I can take the sizes of the other rooms into account from your post upthread and add them to your quote when I get into the office this morning. Might be worth considering the ground floor as a whole, as may open up other options - like Jonathan was suggesting.

• lisa colclough

Thanks will have a look oneplan

• Gloria GR

I would go with a solution like the one sketched by Johnathan and I would add comfortable chairs in dining room so that you can read ocasionally. You may not spend a whole afternoon reading but at least you can stay for a while

lisa colclough thanked Gloria GR
    Kerry Bryan Interiors

Hey Lisa

How about something like this?

* Sofa in original spot with cupboards and dressers etc to left of it for work space, with the range and fridge to far left? Turning the Island to make home to the Sink and Dishwasher which can be fitted below (I did this in my Ramsey project if you want to have a little look, attached the image below.) Leaving room to sit for breakfast on the other side and views out of your bi-folds when at the sink! :) Of course with a a Oval table for a welcoming family dining space.

(Excuse the rough drawing... i'm on the train! )

I hope this helps, if you need any advice or a nudge in the right direction, feel free to get in contact.

- Kerry

@KerryBryanInteriors

Ramsey - Orangery · More Info

lisa colclough thanked Kerry Bryan Interiors
  • lisa colclough

looks fab Kerry - ticks all the boxes I think too . is that a 2m x 1m island? we could probably go 2m long by 1.5m wide I reckon leaving 3 meters for cupboards and spacing either side..

Kerry Bryan Interiors

Lisa - So glad you like it, i'd be happy to help with creating a layout if you need it, and what I'd shown is 2 x 1m. But yes 2 x 1.5m would work perfectly. :)

Looking forward to seeing how everything comes along!

- Kerry

@KerryBryanInteriors

• Richard

I like the huge kitchen. You can have a party in it and enjoy it with your friends. The western kitchen and the dining table are separated independently. There is a red wine and cigar area on the sofa. The kitchen is not suitable for reading. It would be terrible.

lisa colclough thanked Richard

I still like my plan with the dining table near the link between the original house and the extension- it looks like this could be very useful on high days and holidays when you need to extend the table- it also moves the range away from a high traffic area.