lenak1

Kitchen renovation - basic budget

Lena
4 years ago

Hi all!

We have a lovely kitchen design and I thought we had a good idea of the relevant costs. This is were it became funny, so I am seeking some advice about costing a kitchen renovation, please.

We are planning to knock down a load bearing wall between our small dining room and relatively large, but not very well planned, existing kitchen. Replace the flooring and ceilings in both, close of a side door and install a new, smaller, kitchen.

Firstly, we had the kitchen designed by Karen, and were very happy with it.

After that we went to DIYKITCHENS showroom and had a detailed shopping list done for the kitchen itself. As we didn’t want an expensive worktop, our kitchen was costed at £6K with a laminated worktop, but without the installation costs.

Now, we had an experienced local carpenter around, who gave us a £4.4K quote for the kitchen installation, including the worktop and upstand. I didn’t expect the installation to cost app 70% of the kitchen itself, but it was not the best bit yet.

After that we had a builder around, who, after some chasing after, provided us with £24.5K quote (his quote) for the kitchen project including kitchen installation. Now, my thoughts are:
assuming the worst cost of £4K for kitchen installation, basic materials (£1k), knocking down one load bearing internal wall with structural engineer&beam included (500+250+300?), closing off a side door (500?), £1K for laying laminated floor and £1K for redoing the ceiling in the dining and kitchen to create an open plan space.
It totals to £8550,+ £2k continuity = app £10K. Ok, even £12k, we will need to add a few sockets etc.

Our potential generous builder wanted £24.5K for a month of work, £1K per day.

I am just wondering wherever a relatively basic kitchen reno should cost £24K, excluding kitchen costs? We live not far from London, just outside M25.

Any thoughts?

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.