sarah_m135

Extended semi layout help please!! Layouts attached.

Yada Bing
3 years ago

We bought an extended semi that needs some (cosmetic) work but since moving in I'm really struggling with finding a layout that 'works'.

The house has a north (front) / south orientation and the middle room has been turned into a tv room and playroom. The house in general is quite bright, apart from the old extended dining room. All remaining walls are likely to be supporting. We are a family of 3, including a baby.

I've struggled with the layout of the kitchen. There are 3 corner cupboards, when the dishwasher is open I can't open the fridge, I don't know where to put stuff in order to have easy access so it has got very cluttered etc.

Layout 1:

This is the house pretty much as is, with the only change to the kitchen being removing the breakfast bar overhang in order to fit in a table. (We currently have a very narrow table and it is not a comfortable fit).

I've turned the middle room into a playroom/tv room, which is what it is at the moment. This room feels quite narrow and corridor like. I've considered removing the gas fireplace (which we don't use) and chimney breast, but my husband thinks this is a waste of money. I would paint the playroom in a bright white, and any woodwork in a semi-gloss white, painting the fireplace black or yellow. Change doors into sliding doors.

Pros: this is a cheap and cheerful option with minimal disruption.

Cons: narrow playroom / tv room with no view, I feel like the kitchen and utility take up too much 'space' relative to the rest of the house. Doesn't solve any of the problems re kitchen layout.

Layout 2:

Remove several walls and put the kitchen / utility in the darker middle of the house.

Pros: living area has more views of the garden, kitchen suited to our family including larder.

Cons: very expensive. More than £15k, would involve moving gas, and water pipes.

The reason we have not implemented layout 1 properly and just seen how we feel is that we currently have no flooring downstairs (concrete in the extension covered by plastic and bare boards everywhere else). This looks awful, particularly in the extension, but buying and installing flooring and then going for layout 2 would be an expensive mistake.

My question I guess is, do I have a fair estimation of all of this? Is there a way to solve the problems I see in layout 1 in a relatively cost effective way? Do you also agree its all out of proportion?

Thank you!

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.