marjan_yeoman

1930’s semi - best open plan layout for kitchen/diner or all open?

M Y
7 years ago

Our house is a 1930’s semi detached with an already extended kitchen. We currently have a living room, dining room and kitchen layout but are considering opening up the entire downstairs to have one big living/dining/kitchen space. Either that, or we open up the kitchen and dining room, but I’d like to have sofa/seat connected to where we eat/kids can do homework etc hence the idea to go all open plan. We currently don’t have a downstairs toilet and would like to add one (possibly under the stairs). The garage is used as a utility area with plumbing for washing machine and a condenser dryer. We store lots of stuff like bikes in the garage too. I was thinking of halving the garage with the front of it as a store and the back half as a proper utility/downstairs toilet area. I have no idea about steels, fire doors etc and there are probably a lot smarter ways to do this open plan thing, so any ideas are gratefully accepted! We can’t extend further out into the tiny garden.

Comments (24)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.