shelly_clarke70

Open plan kitchen/diner/snug layout help

Shelly C
3 years ago

We're wanting to open up our lounge and kitchen to make the space more workable for us but need help with the layout. We had started consulting with a local architect but had to cancel the surveyor's appointment as we were advised to self-isolate when our daughter was poorly and then lockdown happened and I'm wanting something to focus on until we can start getting proper plans drawn up and progress with the build.

It's a 1930s semi which had already been extended some time ago (red dotted line across kitchen and lounge). I'm hoping we can work with the space we've got by also opening out into the current utility area but my partner thinks we may also need to extend a little further maybe an extra 1-1.5m.

The current utility area is effectively a lean-to with our downstairs loo at the back which also houses our boiler. We'd ideally like a shower room downstairs as our bathroom upstairs is quite compact and have it located nearer to the middle of the house.

We'd like bifolds or sliding doors to open onto the patio area although our garden is north-east facing so we only really get the sun on the patio before midday so maybe sliding doors might be more practical/cost-effective. Also thinking of adding either 2 skylights or roof lantern(s) in the extension roof (currently flat).

We'd make the current dining room at the front of the house our living room and the front of our current lounge would become our family snug area with the dining area in front of the sliding doors on the right-hand side.

Our property boundary to the left is angled so if we open into the current utility I'd expect we'd have to square it off or else it'll be an awkward space. The kitchen would ideally have an island unit with space for stools.

I've taken the walls out in the 2nd plan but I'm struggling with how best to locate the shower room and new utility for the kitchen space to work. We currently have a small closet in the hallway, not sure if it would be practical to open this out to form the shower room by using some of the garage/kitchen space.

Would welcome some ideas for how best to use this space for a young family.

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.