laurensbee

Open plan living room and diner with stairs - layout help!

laurensbee
6 years ago
I am buying a house with an open plan living room with an open staircase. You have to walk through the living room to get to the stairs, which I'm starting to think may cause some problems with fitting in furniture to look right... I don't have much furniture yet (living in a rented property at the moment) apart from a large metal trunk which I use as a coffee table and a tv stand. I do have a dining table and chairs but I'm already thinking that they'll be too large for the room so I don't mind letting them go.

I have also thought about knocking through the wall between the kitchen and living room to create a breakfast bar area. Not sure if I would block off the door from the entrance hall to the living room or the kitchen. Do you think this would be a good idea? At the moment the kitchen is not my taste at all and I plan to replace it fairly soon after moving.

If anyone has any ideas on how to set up furniture in this style of room to make it cosy, stylish but functional please help!

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.