panikosf

Open plan kitchen/diner/living room layout

Panikos
6 years ago

Hi, we are planning a kitchen extension (double storey side extension and single storey back extension). If we do manage to get planning permission (we live in a conservation area in Manchester) we will have a few dilemmas regarding the ground floor layout. The first diagram shows the existing and proposed plans (my personal developed plans rather than the ones to be submitted!!).

As it can be seen we are planning for a big open plan area with sliding doors to connect to the front living room.

Regarding the first floor plans (diagram 2) I think we think we are quite happy unless we got something terribly wrong. With regards to the roof of the single storey at the back we are in 2 minds regarding the benefits of a pitched roof with velux windows against a flat roof with skylights/lanterns/etc.

The third diagram attempts to design the open plan area which we are most uncertain. We don't know whether this is the best configuration for the space available. Essentially the orange blocks shows a wall kitchen with sink overlooking the back garden. Also an island in the middle with an attached breakfast table (rather than a breakfast bar). We also would like a living area as well as a formal dinning area for when we have guests , as the plan shows. We also find it difficult to choose on underfloor heating against radiators and also the type of flooring to use. We like the sound of the engineered floor but we don't see this being practicable in the kitchen ( especially with 2 and 5 year old). Will this be a an impossible area to keep warm during the winter? The other area of uncertainty is the access to the Utility room and WC and whether there is something else we need to consider. Access to garden will be by sliding doors or bi- fold doors (approximate width 5 m) with a window in front of the sink (see below).

I know its a lot to ask in one post but any help or direction will be much appreciated!

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.