webuser_317862880

Downstairs Layout - Help !

HU-317862880
3 years ago

Hi

We have just bought a new house and in the process of planning the re-modelling of the ground floor. We're keen to optimize the space that is there if possible before extending, but the positioning of so many internal doors and the shape is making life difficult, and we're not sure if we can squeeze in the kitchen, dining area and living space once the kitchen/sitting room is knocked through without it feeling a bit cramped. We have thought about knocking into the utility room which is very oversized too but then we would need to find somewhere for a utility and downstairs toilet. We're happy to close off the porch as the driveway is the side of the house - extending it for a new utility etc is an option, but then we'd have to lose the window.

I've attached the current floor plan, and taken out everything in the kitchen/diner. With a blank canvas, do any of you lovely people have any suggestions for what we could do?! Should the kitchen be at the garden end for example (but then it's disconnected from the utility room)?

Whilst we're in demolition mode, we're also quite keen to raise the ceiling height (currently 7'4) and taking some from the bedrooms above (11ft++). Whoever designed this extension was clearly a bit short!

Thanks for any ideas :)

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.