tilliekw

Full planning VS Permitted development

tilliekw

Hi,

I'm looking to start a project, initially I was thinking about getting an architect on-board to look at the job as a whole but now i'm thinking of dividing it into two:

- Loft extension (Permitted development)

- Two-Story front extension (Planning permission)

The reasons for splitting it are the following:

- Can start the loft extension sooner

- Delays on two-story front extension plans and revisions wont impact the loft

- Cheaper for planning permission/process

Our main focus is the loft extension so if we failed (no reason we would) with the front extension we still get what we really need.

Speaking to a development company yesterday they were trying to move me away from permitted development for the following reasons:

- Hard to get a completion certificate post build

- Not always covered by a CDM so I would be liable

- Better way to proceed as you get a structural survey

My feelings on this are as follows:

- I have no rush for a completion certificate and there is no reason to not get one as long as reg are done and signed-off correctly at every stage

- Permitted development was invented precisely for this reason, to speed things up, save costs and reduce red tape

- A CDM, or responsibility for issues is on the contractor and not the home owner

- Part of the loft extension will involve a site visit and drawings for the builders to follow from a structural engineer, they will also handle the building regs application.

Am I way off the mark on this? I'm not looking to cut corners but be the most efficient. It's a balance TBH...

Comment