jill_robertson23

Fireplace help needed please

J Roxon

Hi all,

We're having some work done to our house. We had a through lounge/dining room which has now been separated and the lounge will be a smaller snug.

We did have quite a large, old and dated fireplace with a non-working gas fire which we've had removed. The plan was to have a slate hearth and oak mantel however the opening to the fire is a lot lower than we thought (didn't think to be honest) and we think the oak beam will look a little odd (see second picture - my artists impression!).

We aren't sure about getting the builder to knock it out any bigger but aren't sure about leaving the whole chimney breast clear. We are having a joiner put in small cupboard and chunky floating shelves either side in the alcoves. We thought maybe a nice oversized mirror to fill the space?

Suggestions and inspiration would be gratefully received as we don't have any vision!