bridgetonowhere

tree identification

bridgetonowhere
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I've had these sprout up in the garden for a few years and need to know what they are to save or pull out. pictures 1 and 2 are the same 3 and 4 could be cherry or plum tree. 5th probably not a tree but would love to know what it is. The last one I downloaded as a mistake, this is a buddlea [butterfly bush/tree I'm growing from a cutting, didn't know how to delete, Thanks

Comments (11)

• aisling
    2 years ago

Is the first one a wisteria?

bridgetonowhere thanked aisling
  • Sonia
    2 years ago

3 and 4 look like apple tree saplings which have sprouted from seeds. I’ve got several in my garden. These saplings really grow quite big and have poor quality apples. Nothing like the cultivated ones. I always grub mine out. The first is not Wisteria but I’m afraid I don’t know what it is!

bridgetonowhere thanked Sonia
  • bridgetonowhere
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It does look like a Rowan Tree after looking on google if so I would like to see the red berries. They do however grow quite big. They say its bad luck to cut one down but good luck to have near your home. This is in a pot so I've still got time to decide

• Sonia
    2 years ago

As long as the pot is big it should be okay. I’ve planted a Silver Birch in a pot and that should restrict their growth, I hope!

bridgetonowhere thanked Sonia
  • 1shanson
    2 years ago

Number 5 looks like ground elder to me. It can be invasive so I would dig down and remove it while it’s young.

bridgetonowhere thanked 1shanson
  • 1shanson
    2 years ago

I agree that the first 2 pictures look like Rowan but they could also be common Ash seedlings.

bridgetonowhere thanked 1shanson
  • ali270
    2 years ago

I think it more likely to be Ash seedlings . We had an enormous Ash in our garden that continually produced seedlings like in your photo. The tree surgeon who advised us to remove it said Ash trees are forest trees and should not be grown in gardens. Rowans on the other hand do not grow that enormous and are beautiful . Good luck.

bridgetonowhere thanked ali270
  • bridgetonowhere
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I googled the difference between Ash and Rowan tree leaves. Ash leaf branches are opposite each other whereas Rowan leaf branches are alternate. I went and had another look and mine are alternate so will repot and hope for a Rowan.

Thanks.

• bridgetonowhere
    Original Author
    2 years ago

In reply to 1shanson, I hope its not an elder as its growing underneath a mature plum tree and there isn't room for both of them. I will remove it later in the season and either dispose of , or repot. I'm really bad at binning plants as they are living things but yes, it is necessary sometimes my garden has too many things thriving in it and its too full.

Thank you all, I have wondered about these for too long and with your help I think you've identified them for me. Much appreciated.

• bridgetonowhere
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all, I have wondered about these for too long and with your help I think you've identified them for me. Much appreciated.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.