Interior Designer or Architect??

Emma H
4 months ago
last modified: 4 months ago

Hi, I've recently moved into a conventional (not large) semi with a downstairs layout that absolutely doesn't work for me. I really need to change it and I have an idea of what I could do but want to see if there are other (perhaps more interesting!) options. Do I need an architect or an interior designer?
I can't extend (or at least, not without then not being able to renovate the rest of the house/garden) but will happily take a sledgehammer to the walls. Looking around at local architects my project feels teeny, but I'm not sure if an interior designer would be focused more on the finishes and that's an area I need less help with. Also one idea would mean moving the kitchen and I'm not sure if the designer would be able to advise on the plumbing side/where the sink could go (there's no gas).
I know I'll need a structural engineer at some point but does anyone have any advice on who I should use to work out the best layout. I'm up for completely changing it or just changing it a bit.

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.