ben_marshall19

Integral Garage Conversion

last year

Hey Houzz,

We are going to be converting our integral garage that currently takes up the entire ground floor of our 2001 built London townhouse into an open plan kitchen later this year.

Whilst applying for planning permission (there were restrictions we needed to have removed) we got some early visualisations done by a lovely friend who is an architectural designer so we could begin to imagine the space.

We wanted to reach out to here to see what people think of how it will function as a kitchen. Our aim was to keep it open and light, whilst still feeling homely and inviting.

I have included the early designs that show the open plan layout (the wood-burner has definitely gone!) and positioning of the staircase, as well as visualisations and measurements from Ikea kitchen planner that I have been using to map out what utilities will go where.

The idea has shifted to allow taller cabinets on the back wall, meaning less glass and a simpler sliding door construction to the garden. We will be widening the window on the side (luckily we're end of terrace) and will be replacing the garage door with a set of insulated doors with windows. This is because we live in a quiet close and can open those doors in summer when we have friends round (example photo attached for reference.)

Despite the fact there will be a built in pantry under the stairs and a built in bench by the table for cleaning supplies, the concern is a lack of usable storage throughout the space.

Thanks for reading the ramble, I'd be really interested to hear people's thoughts on the layout, or if anyone has done a similar project and has some advice!

Thanks!