lisamarie1000

Help with kitchen layout please

lisamarie1000
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago
Hello,
Our house we are buying and renovating is a 1930s semi - downstairs it has a front reception room (lounge) and a back reception room (dining room) both off a hall where the stairs go up. At the end of the hall is the door straight ahead into the kitchen. The kitchen and back reception room both have a flat roof extension near enough doubling the original floor space. We are going to break through the wall between the kitchen and dining room extension making a L shape kitchen and putting the original division/wall back in to restore the dining room to its original size but instead of a full wall we will have a glazed wall/big French/bi-fold doors onto the kitchen (we want to keep a separate dining room and there is a fireplace we want to keep on the original kitchen/dining room wall so this wall will stay in place...But equally we want as much light as possible in this room...
However with this odd L shape kitchen it seems like we will have lots of unusable space - any great ideas?? (We are also converting the other side of the kitchen to a laundry, family room and toilet (because of boiler, oil tank, fuse board etc it would cost too much to move these to extend kitchen this way...) hope this makes sense??
Please find attached photos of the current kitchen, current back reception room and a layout of how we would change the room it's just how and where to fit the kitchen I'm struggling with - I've added some units as per the layout but I don't think this works very well - we will also have French doors from the kitchen into the garden opposite the French doors from the newly created dining room letting more light into the dining room. Oh finally we also want to put two roof lights in the existing flat roof.
I definitely want a range cooker and a double Belfast sink in a traditional cottage style kitchen.
I know the obvious thing is to remove the wall in between the original kitchen and dining room but this can not be done as structurally it is a solid main wall holding the house up and also has the chimney brest in it. We will be putting a log burner in this too

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.