systine

Kitchen diner extension plan help

systine
8 years ago

Hi,

We will extend the rear of the house to be a kitchen diner for a family of 4. The parents will come quite often, so need a dining place for 6. We don't entertain much, and don't have other guests coming over to diner very often.

The size of the extension is 6m * 3.8m (20ft*12.5ft) (inner size). We came up with two possible designs for the kitchen.

The first one is a one wall kitchen with an island.

This is an overview of the extension related to the existing house. The close-up plan of the one-wall kitchen diner is below:

The second plan is a L shape kitchen:

Could you please comment on the two plans? Which might work better in practice?

In the one-wall kitchen plan, the dining table will be stuck under the island, which is roughly 1.3m (4.2ft). Will it be too narrow to put the dining table in both plans? Or am i too ambitious to do that and should kick the sofa out and put the dining table in the sofa's position? Our kids are 5 and 2.5, so need to be in the same room while i am cooking. That's why i need some place in the kitchen diner to engage the kids.

We are in the UK where radiator panel or underfloor heating is needed. In both plans, a radiator panel could be fitted under the side window. If there is not enough space to put the radiator panel, we would probably consider underfloor heating. But at the moment DH is a bit hesitated. Any advice on this?

Thanks for reading. Thanks for your advice!

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.